Mike Wilber, Question On My Midback-Tang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Wilber, Question On My Midback-Tang

Awhile back Mike Wilber had a post on "The Many Patinas of Knife River Flint"..
    I have attached pictures of my Midback Tang I just found the other day and was wondering if this Patinated KRF. Just curious and thanks for the help!
    Kenny

Nice find Kenney, don't know about the rock type if that is what your asking. But a Tang knife find is a special find anywhere I think. Welcome to the forum  Kenny. Hope you had great holidays!!!

Comment

All I can tell you Kenny is that the piece certainly  shows patina, that is obvious unless it is coated with something. My knowledge of material is mostly NE U.S. so I can't help you with that. But I hope that gives you a start anyhow, nice find be thankful I don't see many finds as nice as that. Happy Holidays Bill

Comment

That is an awesome find!  I have an artifact that has the same stain on it.  I found mine in a sulphur spring wash out, and all of the stone around was covered in this patina.  I showed my mother who is a science teacher, and she told me she thinks if I were to pour vinegar on it, that it would reveal the true stone.  Mine could very well be knife river flint, but I can only see a small nick of the host stone.  It has a very glossy root beer colored chert of flint.  Was there a sulphur spring near by?  I found a photo, let me know what you think!

Comment

Paleolution,
          Nice artifact. If Im correct... Theres a difference between Patination and lime buildup. I know that you can take lime buildup off of an artifact by putting it in vinegar but I dont think it will work for Patina on KRF. I would have it checked to make sure if it is KRF first before putting it in vinegar. Im not sure what it would do to the artifact (Patina).
          There was not a spring near by
          You have a nice artifact there. It looks like a Washita point maybe??

Comment

I wasn't sure what to call the material on mine.  It does look similar, it's almost like a slurry over it.  I am amazed at yours, it must have been sitting in something to build up on the outside like that.  It's an awesome find either way, and I like it just the way it is, no matter what the material it's unique!

Comment

This a Pedernales knife that is made of Honey Agate based on the Rogers COA. He said this material patinated into a milk color from the original translucent honey color.
              Jack

Comment

You guessed it!  I have a hand full of Washitas, they're cool little guys...

Comment

Whatever your just looking for money?

Comment

James (riverhunter)
                    You know, after reading this I was thinking about deleting this idiotic message you wrote but I think I'll keep it on this post just so people can see how stupid you look even replying with something like that...
                    If I was just looking for "money" then explain to me why in my 17yrs of hunting I have never sold any of my personal finds... Explain that one. And I dont remember mentioning ANYWHERE in this post that this Tang knife was for sale.
                    I guess theres always that one Dick in ever forum you register to that always wants to put his 2 cents worth in. And I must have found him!

Comment

Ya I'm not sure where the "money" comment came from, but I don't see that?  You're right flint_illustrator, there always has to be one dick smack out of the group.  Who wastes their time on making comments like that anyway?

Comment

Working...
                      X