Natural vs Worked.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural vs Worked.

I procured a new site recently. It's not very convenient to get to so I'll probably only go there a few times this year. I was excited to take a look anyway so I went out in 15 f temps. Didn't find much, a couple of roughly worked probable tools (last three pics). I did however find what I believe to be a good example of the difference between natural cleaving/weathering vs. work by man...on the same piece (First two pics). It looks to me that the left side is worked and the right side has a few natural breaks. found it interesting anyway.
    Last edited by flintguy; 02-10-2019, 10:45 PM.
    Central Ohio

I would say what is most interesting is the fact that you are certainly finding artifacts and a new site to hunt. Congrats
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Finding artifacts on your first look is a good sign. On your one piece do you think it could of been wider then broke in half or do you think it was just a test piece for quality of the stone?
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        I think they were just checking the quality, or needed a little flake for some reason. The piece was a square slab, about 1 inch thick. The worked side didn't come to a shape edge, so can't see any use for it.

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I find a lot like that in the fields I walk but I also find one sided scrapers tools of some kind maybe striking stones for making fire. They are interesting. Not all were made for scraping and cutting

Good observation with the comparison. I like the piece in the 3rd pic. 15 degrees is no joke. U musta been raring to go ......man
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a rare window of free time and the sun was out. Had to be done. Lots of rain before. Was having visions of artifacts laying about. Wishful thinking but I had fun.

Do you think you’ll be able to screen that material in pic 1&2 ? I’d think that material would hold artifacts .
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        First time there, I can't see pushing my luck screening and afraid it might cross the line on the laws here. Try to just surface hunt on private land. There is a spot on my original site where I have found 3 nice points and 2 tools all in a one foot area under a sapling. Every time I went to that spot over the summer, something was washed out.I know there is a cache there. Still can't bring myself to ask about digging a hole.

Good on you I hope that new site is productive. You have some worked items there.
      New Jersey

Comment

I can’t dig either I could ask but I’m just glad to have permission to be there. I feel if I ask to dig they might say no and don’t come back.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
        X