Obsidian from Napa County, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsidian from Napa County, CA

I thought you all my be interested in some obsidian points I have found in east Napa County, California.
    They are all surface finds and mostly come from the creek that runs through my property.
    We live in an area that was home to the Wappo tribe and a important obsidian source.
    If you have the time, patience and luck, you can find some beautiful things.

I would welcome comments and help in identifying types.

Pictures show both sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NapapointsB.jpg
Views:	1441
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	357988 Click image for larger version

Name:	NapapointsA.jpg
Views:	1427
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	357989

California

Some nice finds also interesting pieces.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Thanks. I'm fascinated by everything I find and want to know as much as I can.

To hold a piece -feeling it's power -and imagine the people who made it, how it was used, how it was lost.

The piece on the far right seems extra interesting to me as it's not the local black obsidian. I think it's a coloured variety or a chert. Odd to find it around here. It also seems strange that it is such a simple unsophisticated tool made out of an exotic material. Any thoughts?

California

Comment

That could be some kind of hide working tool or scraper, an individual photo of it might help. There is a person here from California and he may be more helpful with material from your area,
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I think it is a scraper. Curious about the material. Is it obsidian? If so, where from?

Click image for larger version

Name:	scraperA.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	358010
          California

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like a type of heat treated chert perhaps? It’s beautiful, and the obsidian is great too👍👍

Thanks for the reply. What are some signs of heat treatment? Is chert normally heated before knapping?
          California

Comment

Heat treated chert will bring the color out of the stone also makes them look glassy. Thanks for sharing your finds I love Creek hunting. Every time I drive by a creek I look to see if there is gravel in it. If it looks interesting I then try to find out who owns it and try to get permission. I have my eyes on one now but I can’t catch the owner at home yet.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

I have access to about a half mile of creek out back of my house. Pretty much everything I've found comes from there. I think it's incredible that such a short stretch has been so productive.
              Also, like you, I'm always rubber-necking creek banks, flood-plains and likely spots when I drive. I'm well hooked.
              California

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                If your creek floods and has current the artifacts can be coming from upstream as well as your property. If it has gravel in it the artifacts are in the gravel and everything gets turned on each flood. Takes a long time for a artifact to wash out of the bank

So the verdict is heat treated chert rather than mahogany obsidian?

Either way it's a weird thing to find around here.
              California

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                It could be what you think it is not many states have obsidian so it’s just a guess on my part

Nice finds. Those are pretty . Any basalt?
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Beautiful artifacts . I just love obsidian . Never found a gravel bar yet in SW Georgia .
                cant wait .

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

The creek I hunt has gravel and river rocks of all types . Even though we are only a few miles from it's source the creek is already forming some nice curves with small beaches and cut banks. It overflows most winters and recent ones have produced extra big floods. It's an exciting feeling on the first hunt after a flood, like virgin territory, it restores hope.

I often speculate about the movement of material during floods. I know the water has the power to move big rocks and rearrange things considerably. I am inclined to agree that some artifacts are washed down from above while others are uncovered. Some pieces are very worn by water action and others hardly at all, is that the correlation? I'm not sure.

I wish I had a better sense of the age of various finds. Is wearing a good tell of age? Probably not. It must be to do with types and context (depth buried etc) but surface finds in creeks and fields yield many different types and (presumably) represent any period that humans were present. I have never dug for points but I once found one sticking out of the creek bank and it was easily 3' deep. It was a small bird point in good condition and if I had found it in gravel I might have assumed it to be not ancient. So I am very interested in learning ways to guess dates more reasonably.

I'm also very curious about tools other than points. One thing that intrigues me is that the tools I find are crude - totally functional - but crude and unworked beyond the basic utility. Yet points are worked to a degree beyond basic function to a degree in some cases that borders on art (think of some of the complex tiny bird and fish points). Also points are easily lost and could be thought almost disposable whilst tools might be retained for as long as useful. So you might think there would be more work put into every day tools like scrapers and spokeshaves. But it's not so.

Almost everything I've found is black obsidian with the exception of a couple of tiny quartz points and that chert (or mahogany obsidian) tool which is why I'm excited to find it.
                  How would material like that end up in Napa and if it was traded in why was it only used as a lowly scraper. Could it have been lost by a traveller from somewhere else?
                  California

Comment

Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing these. Some beauties in there. Can't imagine having artifacts in my own backyard!
                    Not much help here but be patient. We have some folks from out your way who will help you out.
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Chert is found all over California and you have obsidian sources close by this might help you with types http://projectilepoints.net/

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that the scraper is probably made from Franciscan Chert which could have come from Oakland. The colour and sheen matches better than Mahogany Obsidian which is not found in these parts as far as I know.

I spent ages at http://projectilepoints.net/ but was unable to ID anything. The variations are so subtle and my points seem fall between types. Also most of my points aren't notched and it seems notches are key to type ID. I had hope somebody here might help with anything obvious.
                        California

Comment

• JesseJames
                          JesseJames commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It could also be jasper. If I remember the correct type, i'll be back
                      Working...
                      X