Nice Uniface Scaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Uniface Scaper

Found these digging at the cabin this week. Went down to look for mushrooms but that was a bust. The uniface scraper is around two inches for size. Pencil drill or toggle. And a couple of Hopewell points with a fire popped one. Plus half of a stone bead. The scraper is translucent and could be heat treated. The grounds starting to get pretty dry as the area is well drained. keep searching.
    Last edited by sarahsue; 04-12-2019, 07:05 PM.

Yeah i tried to edit the post, because I forgot to post the pic. Somehow my edit pic got turned into a reply.......?
    Last edited by sarahsue; 04-12-2019, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      WTG Keith, I like the pencil drill !

Nice scraper and points, drill also cool. good finds
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Hey Keith, Way to go man. That's a nice group of artifacts. That scraper is a real beauty.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks Ron. I have found about four of these at the farm. The others were smaller and made of the cheap white chert, that most of my finds are made of.......I have only found one artifact made of this material, and it was a Hopewell point like the points that were found with this scraper.

Comment

Good finds! Any chance what you are calling a drill could be a nodena? I can't really get a good look from the pic but it looks like it could be.
          Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Broken Arrow
            Broken Arrow commented
            Editing a comment
            Nodena points are often found in caches... Can we get another pic or two of it? What is your location?

• sarahsue
            sarahsue commented
            Editing a comment
            I found these in Ohio along the Ohio river, your nodena points sound like something out west.......

• Broken Arrow
            Broken Arrow commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok, yeah, you're a little ways outside the distribution area. They are mainly found in the Mississippi valley and adjoining areas.

Nice finds is the scraper jasper? That’s a good day
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• sarahsue
            sarahsue commented
            Editing a comment
            It looks like the material that I find all over the farm, but heated and melted.....

Yes indeed, dandy finds for sure. Would it be possible to give us a straight down look at what you found as opposed to the oblique angle view in this photo? And a bit better focus as well. I ask that cause I may be able to offer an opinion as to the little drill/toggle artifact as well as one of the points. The uniface scraper, as you probably know, is an artifact usually found on very old sites. I don't think I know what part of the country you are located in.

Comment

• sarahsue
            sarahsue commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. My farm is in Ohio right along the Ohio river. I will post some better pics of it on here. i don't have a better camera, but I can put some light behind it for a better view....I actually found this about 6 inches deeper than those Hopewell points, at the bottom of the hole, on top of the pan. The only thing I have ever found made of this material at this site was a Adena/Hopewell point. i only know what the inside looks like.
            .....because i nicked that Adena point with my shovel.
            Last edited by sarahsue; 04-12-2019, 10:54 PM.

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ooooof!!!😮

Nice artifacts... congrats on the good day
          SW Connecticut

Comment

From the wikis...https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodena_Site

”Nodena is the type site for an important Late Mississippian cultural component, the Nodena phase, which dates from about 1400–1700 CE. The Nodena Phase was a collection of villages (see Eaker Site) along the Mississippi River between the Missouri Bootheel and Wapanocca Lake. This culture is contemporary with the Menard Complex, Tipton Phase, Walls Phase and the Parkin Phase. The Parkin Indian Mound, the type site for the Parkin Phase, is the site of another Late Mississippian village located in Parkin, Arkansas, about 30 miles (50 km) southwest of Wilson. In the early 1540s, the Spanish Hernando de Soto Expedition is believed to have visited several sites in the Nodena Phase, which is usually identified as the Province of Pacaha.[6] The Parkin Site is a candidate for the province of Casqui.[7][8] Nodena people were part of the Southeastern Ceremonial Complex, an extensive religious and trade network that brought chert, whelkshells, and other exotic goods to the site”
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
            X