Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favorite point ever and the story behind it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite point ever and the story behind it...

A thread I just had kicking around in my head...

what is your favorite point find by yourself or a family member? This seems like a nice place to share one that the forum might not have seen, or to give some of our favorite points a dusting!

My favorite point was found with a good friend! A fully serrated quartz Neville which dates to about 7,000 years bp. The point was mostly hidden by mud, all I could see was a small flick of quartz, which I assumed was a flake. I pulled on the flake, and out popped this beautiful spear point. Which made me exclaim YESS! Dave and I both stood marveling the point for a while, while we both proclaimed it might be the best find of my hunting career, and for my sake I hope I’m able to find some that excite me in the same way this one did. I’m sure with time I will.

What is your favorite point find, and what is the story behind its recovery?
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Nice looking Point Pointhead!
    For some reason My Favorite Point is this Saint Charles Point I found on The edge of a Field.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0128.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	364464
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	364476 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	364475 I found this point on my very first scuba dive on the Santa Fe River near High Springs/Gainesville, FL I was working cracks in the bedrock looking for fossils. Artifacts came up occasionally. This point was darker underwater and when "fresh" and I thought when I fanned it out that it was a leaf. I took three head whips before I finally saw that it wasn't. Late "Dalton" , maybe a "Tallahasse Dalton"... or a Santa Fe Point. 7000 BCE to 6000 BCE BTW this is classic Santa Fe River stain.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• clovisoid
        clovisoid commented
        Editing a comment
        Tom, is that point beveled? It sort of almost kind of looks like some of the Page Ladson points.

Comment

All of mine are in this frame. My first point is in the center, I remember it like it was yesterday. My daughter found the broken paleo base right next to it. My son didn't get a first point, he found this cool green celt. The other points were found by my grandfathers. (One of them has been painted red where they played cowboys and Indians back in the day.)

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        I like that story ! I wonder , do youngsters play Cowboys and Indians anymore ?

• clovisoid
        clovisoid commented
        Editing a comment
        No, it was on a list of inappropriate games when my son was in elementary school. Cops and Robbers was also a no go.

Name:	image_59336.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	364792 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_50094.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	364793 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11671.JPG
Size:	0
ID:	364795 I found this point one day in a creek it was my only find of the day. I call it Cherry Blast
      Last edited by SurfaceHunter; 05-03-2019, 05:48 PM.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        The reason it’s my favorite is due to the color I’ve yet to find anything like it since

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        The red in this one is awesome nice find

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Red you know they all dry out and lose the color after while when it’s a creek find

bump
      NW Georgia,

Comment

What's a point? Looks like most of the pics are knives.....

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe you can show one then

• JoshinMO
          JoshinMO commented
          Editing a comment
          We find these Knives while Arrowhead Hunting, ha.

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          The term point can be used for a knife or a arrow point

Bump
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

This find was found on A trip that I had taken out some out of state kids to sift for trade beads. The site is remote but has been hunted for over 40 years. There is always a bead turning up so I figured that they could find a few to take back and show their friends. It has a wikiup that is intact, and the place has this feeling in me as a place of home for all the time spent there. My main reason for choosing this site to take them to was I could let them sift for beads after showing them how., and I could go up a hill where I had found a part of a IDK what it is other than glass ceramic. but I didn't find any more of it and headed back to the kids to see how they were fairing. I got to about twenty feet from them and was walking fast when out of the corner of my I catch a glint which stopped me in my tracks I turned around to see this laying in full view. Amazing to me that it had so much traffic in the past and was there for many years prior to the fur trade era and the forty years of us being there.
          An Elko corner notch: 3500 to 1400 BP

Name:	New Image.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	364910 Click image for larger version

Name:	New Image2.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	364911
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I can’t find anything to dislike on that one

This is my favorite. It's not much too look at, but I think it's ancient (possibly Berkeley Pattern) and it's made of an obsidian that comes from Clear Lake rather than Napa. It's the best of five I found together (maybe a small cache) and even though it's very worn it looks like it was beautifully made.

Name:	20190504_105933.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	365063

California

Comment

My first one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0893.jpg Views:	4 Size:	111.7 KB ID:	365120

Flint Ridge chert

The story behind it goes like this. I was walking in one of our plowed fields last June. I had searched that field high and low, without finding even so much as a flake. As I walked across the field toward a pond, I caught this out of the corner of my eye. It was laying smack on top of the dirt, as if someone planted it. Never before, was so much gibberish yelled across that field. Happy, but still gibberish. I am not sure if I will ever top this one.
          Last edited by Kentucky point; 05-05-2019, 05:11 PM.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• tomf
            tomf commented
            Editing a comment
            Lovely find. Looks so fresh.

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            What did you type it as KP?

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            Hopewell. It actually came from Ohio, a long ways away from here up more north. It journeyed down the Scioto River, across the Ohio river, and ended up on my farm, about 1,500 years ago. It's amazing to think about.

I found this blade up in the high country Central Sierra Nevada Mountain Range when I was 8 years old . My dad was leading my brother and me on a donkey and stopped to take a break. And I found the banded obsidian blade on the trail . Also my first personal find .
          Last edited by south fork; 05-05-2019, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice! First ones, are the best ones! I'd like to see some of those gem darts you have.

I was tempted to post my first find as my favorite, as in many ways it is, but I've shown it be fore here.

Probably nobody minds if I show it again.

I was taking a walk to cool off after a nasty row with my wife. Generally feeling gloomy, shuffling along, kicking stones on the old flood plain below our house.

I mindlessly aimed my boot at another rock, but just before launching it, something caught my eye. It was the colour and shape that caused me to pause and pick it up.

Even knowing nothing about artifacts it was clear I had found one. I marvelled at it's size and shape and tactile quality. It's was a thrilling feeling to channel it's sense of history. This rock felt so human.

I hurried back to show my wife what I'd found, our previous aggravations all forgotten. She was amazed too.

I could hardly put the thing down that evening. I turned it over and over in my hand and in my mind and it occurred to me that where there is one, there may be two.

First thing the next morning I hurried back onto the flood plain where I spent the following seven hours slowly and meticulously scanning every inch of it and every pebble on it.

The whole time I felt serene and expectant. I just knew I would find something.

And then I did. It's a tiny side-notched arrow (probably Rattlesnake cluster I've since deduced) and it's almost perfect.

The contrast between the big old biface and the little new arrow amazed me.

The rush from the second find (and subsequent ones) was equal to first and I've been hooked ever since.

Name:	20190504_105336 (1).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	365125

Name:	20190504_105420 (1).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	365126
          California

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
            -=METACOM=- commented
            Editing a comment
            I get a kick out of the tiny points, nice one!

My two favorites and also my first two finds. I can still remember the excitement of finding them. One found while hoeing our strawberry field and the other found while out on a search. Both Monroe County, MI finds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0082.JPG Views:	1 Size:	191.6 KB ID:	365463

Comment

Working...
          X