Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favorite point ever and the story behind it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Neville Ben.

Me and my hunting buddy had gone out to check a new spot. The place was absolutely full of quartz flakes, but after hours of searching I had come up with nothing. My friend found a pretty cool rhyolite triangle but the place seemed empty aside from that. We figured it was time to go somewhere else. As we were about to leave, I saw this one area off in the distance that I didn't want to leave unchecked. My friend agreed to check it out for a few minutes and we made our way over there. After searching for 30 or 40 minutes I walked up on this one. At first I thought it was too good to be true. It's the biggest point I've ever found and it was the most shocked I've ever been while hunting.

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
      -=METACOM=- commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks man, you just never know what you're going to come across out there.

• Glacial Pebble
      Glacial Pebble commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it ground slate? Beautiful!!

• -=METACOM=-
      -=METACOM=- commented
      Editing a comment
      No, just water worn.

Hello everyone this is my first post. So I couldn’t think of a better way to start off with than one of my favorite finds. I’m so proud of this piece had been hunting the same field for about 10 years now find lots of broke stuff with your occasional small whole points but nothing big. We’ve nicknamed it the field of broken dreams lol. Then just last fall I stumbled a crossed this. How it avoided the row cropping all the years is truly amazing. I believe it’s a preform but the working is still beautiful and thin for its size.
    Im really enjoy being a part of y’alls forums and really look forward to sharing more finds and seeing what everybody else is finding.
    “I’ve never let my schooling interfere with my education”

Comment

• clovisoid
      clovisoid commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve, it's probably a long shot, but I would go back and probe that spot. That style of blade has popped up in caches in Central and Northern Kentucky on several occasions. (Not the big caches of thousands of pieces, but several small ones that were cached like turkey tail points.)

• SteveKY
      SteveKY commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks clovisoid, I’ve been walking the area every time I go to that field but probing whould definitely be something to try. I can still remember the spot I found it at. This particular field has produced tons of large broke blades some halves almost as big as this whole one but none have the finished working as this one.

Two of my favorite points. were found on two different hunts. The third point I found with the number three for obvious reasons was when I was five years of age. It was on a sandy beach laying on a sand bar. the lake was up about thirty feet from the waters edge. It had been hunted hard and also had the fishing traffic as well. late summer and we had gone there after dad had gotten off work for an evening hunt. we met up with a lady that also collected and were hunting together for afternoon. both of them said to each other I will go this way at the waters edge you go the other way and will meet up to compare artifacts. So I just took the bars that had been hunted all summer. when this was laying on top. Camouflaged from the sand it blended in. I got the nickname little sh.. that trip.
    The Red one was found on a trip in the late spring with some of my hunting buddies I was 18 at the time,. We had taken off for a five day trip. and were hunting an area that the stars shined bright at night. the third day of the trip. in the afternoon I was headed back to meet up with them and do our show and tell. I was getting close to where we had parked. and the foot prints were everywhere crisscrossing so I really had stopped looking. but my always tend to scan the ground. As I was walking I came across a small clearing. The tracks were everywhere but in the middle was about a four foot square of ground that was undisturbed this in the middle on the side edge with just the edge showing almost like a needle of color and when I flipped it out with my finger I almost fell over.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1118.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	367718 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1117.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	367719 ​​​​​​​
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• clovisoid
      clovisoid commented
      Editing a comment
      Beauties. Flattop Chalcedony?
Working...
X