Fluted Dalton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluted Dalton?

In another thread, I said I had a fluted Dalton. Am I correct?
    This was found in Rock Island County, in Northwestern Illinois, in the 1930’s. It definitely has some short fluting on both sides of the base. I believe there is grinding along the sides of the base also. Burlington chert, I believe

Chuck Click image for larger version  Name:	4E3449CF-D5F9-4BC0-BC4D-435030C39F69.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	90.1 KB ID:	373141 Click image for larger version  Name:	1048A777-BDA5-405D-B135-3EF7E21909F0.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	373142 Click image for larger version  Name:	2D2FE9DB-9749-4120-9594-87FC586D9B3F.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	86.4 KB ID:	373143
    Last edited by Charles Jones; 06-16-2019, 02:44 PM.
    Fayette County, southern Illinois

I would say ya have a fluted Dalton there and a very nice one at that!
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

That’s what I’d call it.👍
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

It looks like what many Midwesterners would call a Pike County point. Greg Perino named them, related to Dalton but they have a bit more of a flared base/ears and are resharpened a bit differently than most Dalton points.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Charles Jones
          Charles Jones commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting! Haven’t heard of a Pike County point before. This was found about 100 miles north of Pike Co.
          Ever notice how most Dalton’s have one ear longer than the other? Do you think the fluting indicates an earlier date?
          Chuck

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m going with you summation here clovisoid , I think it’s older than dalton.

I'm inclined to agree with Josh that it looks like a pike county type but I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard of them being fluted or having basal thinning like that but I'm sure it isn't outside the realm of possibility.
        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Working...
        X