Eccentric NC knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eccentric NC knife?

Here’s a point I picked up in a auction about a week ago. It and a Big Sandy caught my eye and I bought them in a lot of loose arrowheads. The more I look at it the more I like it but I have no clue what to call it and the title of this thread may be it? It’s 2” long and 1 1/2” wide and made of rhyolite. It kind of has a Kirk look to it? Have any of you seen anything like it?

Von

Here’s a few more pictures.

Comment

That’s a cool piece! It could be a Kirk or something along that line with a fractured ear and base that has been reworked down to approximately under half its original size judging by the remaining ear there. Some of my favorite artifacts are the ones with lots of use and “character” to them.
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

I hear ya! I like the odd ones too! As you can see it has no modern damage. They either tossed it or lost it?

Von

Comment

All we can do is speculate but I would say pieces like that were used as much as possible while it was hafted to a handle. After it become too small or broke then they possibly still used it as a hand held scraper or some type of tool until it was no longer useable at all. I figure that also has a lot to do with the supply of usable materials in the area though. Here in the Delta most all “rocks” had to be brought in from long distances so they utilized them well. I find a lot of pieces that are worked down to almost nothing from being used and sharpened so many times. I have found some pieces that look like the “thunderbird effigies” BUT they are stemmed points with impact fractures that were anciently sharpened and reused with thick patina that made them resemble other “things” at first lol. The character makes them more interesting than any “showpieces” in my opinion.
          SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Well, I bought this point about 85 miles from the source of the material it was made from. Just looking at it I think the base was anciently broken off. It’s still fairly large and could have been re-chipped into something so maybe it was lost when the base was broken? Maybe some will chime in that has a similar artifact?

Von

Comment

Almost a gut hook-like knife..?..
              really cool piece.
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Von
                Von commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe? It’s not that sharp now but when it was freshly knapped I’m sure it was sharp enough to do the job on a big critter like a deer.

Von

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                Whatever it is, it’s the kind of artifact I can stare at and imagine things about for hours.👍

• Lindenmeier-Man
                Lindenmeier-Man commented
                Editing a comment
                Good call there J 355. I’d call it a mid-back tang knife. Might pass for a corner tang...

Thanks for all the information and comments. It’s definitely a odd point for this area. I’m sure it’s a knife and mid or side tang knives are rare in this area so it’s one I’ll be holding onto.

Von

Comment

Working...
              X