More Info on Iowa point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Info on Iowa point?

Hi everybody. I've been lurking on your website the last couple days and it's pretty neat. Love seeing what everybody finds!

My dad and I like to go out and look for arrowheads together once in a while. Neither one of us really knows what we are doing but we have fun and we've each found several over the years. We went out this weekend and I found one. I've tried looking at some I.D. websites but to my untrained eye, there seem to be several different types it could be. Any information you could provide would be much appreciated!

Point was found in a creek in Decatur county Iowa (far south central Iowa, bottom row of counties) We've only been to this creek three times and found something twice so they are falling out of the bank somewhere. It's kinda pink in color as you can see from the pictures. Just a little bit of damage on the one side but other than that it was whole.

Thanks everyone! Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	374615 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	374616
    Last edited by Hoss; 06-24-2019, 11:54 AM.

Welcome from Connecticut.. that's a nice point.. beautuful pinkish rock
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Iowa_Man
      Iowa_Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I thought it was real pretty rock.

I have a similar point from the Burlington, Iowa area. My book shows a Howard County Point that is similar in shape and size.

Welcome, and nice find!

Here is my similar point.

Chuck Click image for larger version  Name:	4D6E73F5-5A31-41CB-9302-574C8E2A3CF4.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	82.6 KB ID:	374628
    Last edited by Charles Jones; 06-24-2019, 09:29 AM.
    Fayette County, southern Illinois

Comment

• Iowa_Man
      Iowa_Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the response! This was one of them that I thought was a possibility. Definitely look similar. Thanks for sharing.

Nice find IM. I will agree with Chuck. I have it as a Raddatz and that type falls into a cluster that includes Howard County points. The coloring may be due to heat treating. Nice one man...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Charles Jones
      Charles Jones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, looking at the size, the Raddatz makes more sense. I think mine might be Howard Co.

• Iowa_Man
      Iowa_Man commented
      Editing a comment
      This looks really close. You might be right on Raddatz. I remember seeing Raddatz while researching yesterday and thought it looked pretty close. Location makes sense as well. We would be right on the western edge of it's range. Thanks for commenting. Pretty neat to be the first person in 3500-5000 years to hold the tool!

nice find thanks for sharing it with us and welcome to arrowheads.com
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing.
      Sometimes it's hard to put a name on a point but we still do. Both suggestions have merit .
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I'm going to second the call of Raddatz and I'll even say that it is made out of heat treated Burlington chert.
        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

What a beautiful little point.

Keep searching and show us what you find.
          California

Comment

Working...
          X