Fluted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluted?

Hi, all! I found this tip today in central Connecticut. It almost looks fluted on one side and I was wondering if anyone would agree or disagree with that observation? I also included a pic of the other side for comparison. Click image for larger version

Name:	Tip 3.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	379139 Click image for larger version

Name:	Tip 1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	379140 Click image for larger version

Name:	Tip 4.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	379141 Click image for larger version

Name:	Tip 2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	379142 As always, any and all input is very much appreciated!

Charlie would be the person to chime in but my first thought is no not a flute. but what IDK. could be from a flake removal prior to the edge being flaked I have a few like that.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Poquonock
      Poquonock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input, chase. I might reach out to Charlie if he doesn't show up here.

I don’t believe it’s fluted. It looks like an impact fracture starting at the top of the “flute” that has a groove carved all the way down. More than likely where a farming disc went across it. Not much else leaves that kind of scar. Cool find.
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Poquonock
      Poquonock commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate the comment! The "fluted" section is as patinated as the rest of the piece, so I was thinking it was contemporaneous to the making of the point. I'll look more closely when I get home at the groove to see if that looks like plow damage. Thanks again!

I was thinking impact fracture as well once in a while the impact fracture will be in reverse instead of the tip to base which is most popular. Some will go from the base towards the tip almost like the hafted shaft slips on impact.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Poquonock
      Poquonock commented
      Editing a comment
      An impact fracture isn't something I had ever considered. I like it! In my reply to Artifascination above I noted that the "fluted" portion of the tip has the same patina as the rest of the piece, and an impact fracture would work into that timeline. I'd sure love to find the rest of this thing. Thanks for the comment!
      Last edited by Poquonock; 07-15-2019, 08:14 AM.

Well, I'm Charlie, but I'm also not really qualified to make the call. Only an opinion. I doubt that that is a flute. Good find, though....
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Poquonock
      Poquonock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Charlie! I'm glad to have your opinion. After thinking about this overnight, a flute is pretty unlikely because I found this tip in an area that would have been under the waters of Lake Hitchcock during the fluted tradition.
Working...
X