Educational post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educational post

Last edited by Okie1; 07-18-2019, 03:14 PM.

Sorry Okie1 But I am not finding any information on Hatred blades being a known type and the re worked Clovis is not a clovis. Nice finds none the less!
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Hi Okie. Do you have a guess as to the types of stemmed points you have? I'm not as familiar with points in Oklahoma as I am with those of the southeast. As far as the stemless point goes, it doesn't look like a Clovis to me. It has more the appearance of a Beaver Lake or Quad but I don't know if those types have been found as far to the west as where you found your point. It does look like the distal end was broken and possibly reused. It would be good if we could see both sides of the stemless point to be more certain. As far as its intended use, it could have always been used as a knife. The length of your point is approximately 2 1/4 inches and points of that size could have been used as dart points or knives. Early Archaic and Trans. Paleo cultures often used the same form/style of point for knives and dart points. Whether used for knives or darts they were always halfted. So your stemless point was halfed just as were the stemmed points. They were probably halted differently as attested by the basal shape.

Comment

These poor grade points are all nice finds but I can't imagine why anyone would think there was clovis work on that last one.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I’m not one for piling on for urinating in someone’s Wheaties....but that doesn’t look like a Clovis to me either.

not a Hazel/Ross variety or any other I could find.
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Clovisoid, Is a respective member on this forum as well as other forums. He is well versed in artifacts of both north and south America's He is one of the few I will stop and listen to his perspective, With that said from a pic on the internet it is open to interpretation. In hand is always best. I have a broken point that in a pic looks like a folsom. but in hand t is not even close.
            If you think its a clovis then call it what ever you want you are the keep of the artifact. But I call it how I see it. and I do so for the membership to get another view weather Its a rock or I feel that it may not be what it is represented as. This is a forum and there are times when other members disagree with my assessment and they may very well be right but at least I have given another alternative.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
            X