First Arrowhead! What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Arrowhead! What is it?

My wife has been obsessed with rocks and artifacts for years. She has collected tons of rocks, but now she's moved on to arrowheads. We went out this weekend to our farm (Kanawha Co. West Virginia) , down to the riverbank and took our daughter to catch salamanders and frogs. The wife took the opportunity to start looking. She found this within the first five minutes of her first Arrowhead hunt. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Iā€™m not familiar with points from your area, but it looks old....like really old.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com That is a nice find. Water worn with some slight damage to the base. Maybe a Stanfield ? hard to say with all the water wear on that blade. Congrats to your wife on an awesome save.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

hard to tell from the picture on the type, some better pictures of the base are needed, when you get time. whatever type it is it has seen a lot of cutting use, nice first find.

Comment

Congrats!! Very nice point especially for the first one.

Comment

Close ups..

Comment

That's a nice find .congrats on the first point
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Good score there graphic ! You profile pic messes with me.....JJ
                Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• BabaORiley
                  BabaORiley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No clowns...

That is an excellent first find. Welcome to the site JJ. I would agree with Hoss that a Stanfield is as close as any. It falls into a cluster of many similar points with a very wide distribution area. The creek stained patina really makes it an attractive piece worthy of its own frame. Like the framed first dollar you see in a business...lol. Nice find...
                The chase is better than the catch...
                I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Nice first find! but that Killer Clown just has to go. Does your wife and kids now what you post on the internet as a profile pic? Okay back at ya.
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

It is a super first find and I agree with Hoss about the likely type. Looks like a Stanfield to me, also. Your artifact was used as a knife and halfted to a handle. Stanfields are very old and fairly rare. They are about 9,000 years old, plus or minus. I only ever found three of them and I had collected several thousand.points back when I was an active hunter.

Comment

Hi,

Your clown picture is creepy but your wife sounds like a keeper! Congratulations to her on one heck of a nice first find!

Von

Comment

Thank you for the response and information. We truly appreciate it! Ill change my profile pic.....

Comment

Better than the scary clown I guess šŸ˜ƒ
                          NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                          X