an amazing gift!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an amazing gift!

One of my favorite customers that I landscape lives across the street from the beach . They were always genuine and nice, and always spoke to us after we finished. One day the homeowner mentioned how much she liked to find sharksteeth, and I shared with her my passion for finding arrowheads. She ran into the house grabbed a jar full of teeth and dumped it out on a glass table while saying " I found one." In what seemed like slow motion the point bounced down the table and caused a nick on the tip. I told her how rare in this area it is to find one, and how beautiful it was! she told me I could have it!!! I said thank you ran to the truck... I felt like it was paleo but didn't look like the very few clovis era points I've held. Two weeks later I showed it to Dr. Daniel at ECU, and he IDed it as an eastern clovis! and added it to the fluted point survey. It's ground on the sides and base and small at 1.75 inches... . He mentioned that it was rhyolite because of the patina change coloration that shows on the tip ding, though I've never seen this color on the outside of a NC point, but the inside is a green that I have on a hardaway point. I just love the fact that it came from a local beach!!
    North Carolina

That’s a true beauty.👍👍
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Absolutely stunning world class point , great share ... Thanks a bunch ...

Comment

• utilized flake
        utilized flake commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! But I'd rather have a pf Kirk!

Awesome gift. I'm sure you'll take a lot better care of it than the finder did (dumping it out and chipping it.) Well done on getting it in the fluted point survey.

The original shoreline when that point was made was probably miles off shore from where it is today, probably a lot of sites sitting out in the water.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• utilized flake
        utilized flake commented
        Editing a comment
        45 miles of extra coastline... I wonder how many sites are under water?

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        So true

Wow that is a generous gift. Thanks for sharing.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hi UF. A dandy gift for sure. Congratulations! As for it being a Clovis? IMO, maybe, maybe not. I'm not saying it is not one, only that I think it may not be. It is not fluted on either side. Of course, that does not mean it is not one as some Clovis points were not. I am also not seeing clearly any evidence of grinding on the base or what would be a halfting area. As for an "Eastern Clovis". I'm not familiar with that terminology so maybe there are other members who will weigh in that collect from your area that are expert in your area and can tell us what makes an Eastern Clovis different from those found in the midwest or southeast.. I have not kept up on the academic folks who have expertise in Paleo artifacts in your area so perhaps Dr. Daniels is qualified in that field and has handled many. Being just an amateur who has personally collected Clovis and Cumberland points, it does not look "quite right" to me. There are other attributes of Clovis besides fluting that help in making a determination and I don't have it in hand and I don't know what is the lithic.. I just offer these comments to stimulate discussion. I do hope for you that it is indeed a Clovis. As you know, people who have spent a lifetime collecting points have never found a Clovis. Lanceolate points which were made from Paleo thru Woodland times can be very difficult to assign a type. Clovisoid who I consider very good regarding typology apparently saw nothing that concerned him regarding the Clovis ID, and made me pause for me to make my comments as I respect his opinions. But I just offer you my observations from what I think I see. Maybe I need new glasses. lol
        Last edited by sailorjoe; 08-11-2019, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• utilized flake
          utilized flake commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree Joe... I have tons of experience with NC lithics but only ounces of paleo artifacts! In hand it felt paleo/ different than 99 % of my other points. Upon recovery I thought it was a Simpson... It seems very slightly waisted. the reverse side ( pic two) has a maybe shallow flute. The base is not very concave and it's small but looks to have been resharpened.The ridges on the flakes have been removed with tiny flakes or grinding on both faces similar to a few pieces of paleo obsidian in my collection. I doubt you need glasses as the picture was cropped and resized, probably too much. Lol! I definitely need to find the tutorial for posting images. It might not be clovis, but my gut tells me it's super old!
          Last edited by utilized flake; 08-12-2019, 12:11 AM.

• sailorjoe
          sailorjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi UF. Given your experience and the fact that you have it in hand and I don't makes be inclined to lean towards it being a Clovis. It does have the shape of Clovis points that have a straight base. I can not tell by your photos just what is the cross sectional shape. It looks like it may be flattened but I can't tell for sure.One of the key diagnostic factors for Clovis is a flattened cross sectional form.

How thick is it ? It’s definitely paleo. To many people like to plagiarize the writs of the Archeologist as a definite pattern. There are differences in all established types. I see Clovis variant ...
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Hey LM... It's almost exactly a quarter of an inch at its widest point on the top 1/3 of the point got a better natural light pic with my dern phone.
          North Carolina

Comment

North Carolina

Comment

Working...
            X