Ny beach finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ny beach finds

Hi all, have not gotten out as much as I like this year. Here is some of my finds from 2019. Looking for opinions on the triangle it is ground heavy around the bottom. The last picture is a French D shaped gunflint.

Those are great! That corner notch and gun flint are my favs!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Not all triangle points are Woodland in culture, and this is one of them. It's probably a well used Squibnocket triangle, common to NY and the Long Island area. This falls into the Late Archaic time period, ca. 2500 - 2000 B.C. I was told, but never saw it personally in reference, that these have been found suggesting the tip was inserted into a handle, and the concave base served as the utilized edge, being a scraper. I don't know if that has actually been proven, but if the base is unusually ground more than it should be, and very rounded and smooth, it could be a scraper form. The second one is a little odd, and could be a Squibnocket stemmed, or a Lamoka variety. Then of course a real nice Lecroy bifuracte point, and what I call an Intrusive Mound or Jacks Reef point. The gunflint is obvious, being of French Honey flint, and could be from 1650 - 1750. Keep looking, some Mansion Inn cache blades have been found along NY beaches. A lot of material got mixed around from the course of eroding banks, and there's no telling what you might find next! Good Luck!!
      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Neat points with a good assortment of materials
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Like the bifurcate and gun flint. The gun flint looks like it was used as a scraper too.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks for the info pk. That would make sense with the triangle being used in reverse hence there being grinding on the base. I have squibnockets, beekmans, hunter brooks, and snap-it points and this one didn't quite match. One of my buddies I go looking with found a cache of mansion inn blades, they are amazing!

Comment

Great points congrats. Do you think the 4th is Jack's Reef or something archaic.

Ditto on the gunflint. Super cool to find.
              Last edited by kayakaddict; 08-19-2019, 10:07 AM.
              New Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by kayakaddict View Post
                Great points congrats. Do you think the 4th is Jack's Reef or something archaic.

Ditto on the gunflint. Super cool to find.
                Thats a Jack's Reef Corner Notch IMHO....

Rhode Island

Comment

I agree with the Jacks Reef assessment and cool gun flint!!
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

Nice finds
                    SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                    X