My friends inherited pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friends inherited pieces

Hey guys I just wanted to share these two pieces of my buddies that he inherited from his grandfather. He brought them over yesterday and was curious if I could find out anything about them. The one has to be some sort of blade and has a nice bevel to it. The other one is just a complete monster lol I didn’t measure it but it has to be over 6 inches long and over 4 inches wide. It’s got some thickness to it lol sucker probably weights 2 pounds lol figured you guys would enjoy looking and maybe one of you might know what he’s got. I’ve never seen such a big piece personally but I’m new to this addiction so any advice is appreciated as always! Thanks

nate
    Attached Files
    Johnson county Missouri

Any story to go along with them like purchase or personal finds? I’m not seeing Paleo flaking
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe a little on the eared one not sure if Quads are that big or not I just don’t have any to compare it to

• NOTCHEDNate
      NOTCHEDNate commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish I had more info about where and when they were found and stuff. He said his grandpa was a lifelong relic hunter from here in Missouri but also searched the neighboring states quite a bit. but said at one point his grandpa owned a store and would buy finds from people around the area too who would sell them to him. His grandmother just split up his collection between the family and these two are his favorites he was curious about!

I would assume that a paleo find that size would be documented. Without the context of the finds its hard to determine what your artifacts are........we need some more information.

Comment

The beveled knife is likely just that, a big beveled knife. Nice find!

The other piece has that generic paleo outline, and an overshot/outrepasse flake like you see on some big Clovis bifaces, but it just doesn’t look right for that. If it’s from Illinois/Missouri area, it could be a massive Thebes that was reworked at some point to repair a snapped base. There is one on the second page that shows outrepasse flaking. Those big Thebes have that design flaw that if they are too weighty at the front any torque snaps them at the top of then neck.

It could also be a big stemmed Woodland point that was rebased.

If it isn’t from Ill/MO then I really don’t have any guesses.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• NOTCHEDNate
        NOTCHEDNate commented
        Editing a comment
        I see what you mean about the outrepasse flaking of that one on page two of the link! Does look very similar! I think you may be onto something!
        I’m gonna try and get more info from him about it. Hopefully someone in his family knows something about when and where his grandpa found it. What makes things tricky too is apparently the guy used to buy arrowheads from the locals at his store back in the day too.. so it might not even be a personal find of his.
    Working...
    X