Educational case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educational case

Haven't carried this to a show in a while but there is an upcoming show Sep. 14 and decided to carry it. It shows some things done to artifacts to fool people. The first photo is a modern re-chipped point which is hard to tell from photo and also in person. 2nd photo it in case with photo of how it was found and last photo whole case. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6606.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	390221 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6607.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	390222 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6608.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	390223
    South East Ga. Twin City

Very educational.

Thanks.
    California

Comment

Teach it Willjo! I wish that someone would have showed me this before I made my first purchase of an “authentic point”. Unfortunately it had modern edge work all the way around the edges. Then it was soaked in oil to cover up the patina difference on the edges and sold to clueless me as a perfect G10. After learning my lesson the hard way I decided to educate myself to prevent it from happening again. The best way to learn is definitely to see the comparison difference between altered, rechipped, and modern reproductions versus authentic unaltered artifacts first hand. This knowledge could really help folks out. Thanks for the educational good post Willjo!
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

👍good tool that’ll help folks

Comment

Thanks Wiljo.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Wish I had seen this five years ago. ☹️
            Child of the tides

Comment

I never would have guessed those were all altered or reproduced. That will be a big eye opener at a show.
              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• willjo
                willjo commented
                Editing a comment
                I made this display several years ago and it has traveled to numerous shows, but haven't had it out in a while. There is a little of all this being sold and even more deceptive points also.

Easy solution don’t buy artifacts. Get out and find them yourself.

Comment

• Artifascination
                Artifascination commented
                Editing a comment
                You have a point Okie but not everyone is able to find them. Sort of like getting food for supper. You can go out and hunt for fresh meat or you could go to the store and buy it. Buying it is more convenient compared to a long hunt that might turn up empty handed and ya end up going hungry. You can always shop around and have your choice of some good looking stuff that has already been set in front of ya to pick out. All ya have to do is educate yourself to know the difference between the good and the bad.

That's very interesting and educational. Thanks for posting
              South Carolina

Comment

Good idea for an educational frame, I'm sure it will help explain some of the complexities involved with interpretting flaked stone tools. Thanks for sharing!
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hi Johnny, An excellent teaching aid. You've made an outstanding contribution to the collecting community in your area and your post here is a fine service to new members and to folks who buy artifacts.

Comment

Working...
                  X