Showing Off My Little Bighorn Arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showing Off My Little Bighorn Arrow

I have been out of the hobby for a few years -- I see arrowheadology is gone! -- but digging through my collections and thought I'd share this Cheyenne arrow from Custer's last stand. It was picked up a few weeks after the battle by the wife of an indian agent. Dwain Rogers papered it and said that most Cheyenne arrows have bird of prey fletching, but this one is a red-dyed turkey feather. Imagine the stories it could tell!

Wow! that's what I've been waiting to see on the forum...absolutely a treasure
    Last edited by Rio Del Norte; 09-07-2019, 04:43 PM.
    San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

Comment

Wow and YIKES...... I think it might be a scary story, with my imagination being outta control and all........
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

How a Prehistoric Arrowhead Authenticate person could paper a ‘Cheyenne Iron Point Arrow from the late 1800’s kind of baffles me. The only Authentication I would be comfortable with would be from a Historian of Native American Relics associated with the ‘Cody Museum’. The Cody Museum houses Authentic Relics from that time period to compare it with. There’s just a couple other museums in the country and few Collectors of renown such as ‘Baldwin’ who passed away a few years back that curated Relics from LBH and other Indian wars Era Artifacts.

Comment

• clovisoid
          clovisoid commented
          Editing a comment
          Good ol' John Baldwin. He was a regular at all of the shows and meetings I went to as a kid in Northern Indiana.

The only Iron tipped arrow in my collection. Reservation Era. The Reservation Era for the Western plains tribes kicked off shortly after the Civil War. The Southern plains tribes and the Osage,Kaw,Omaha,Pawnee settled onto reservations in Indian Territory. The Teton Sioux And their allies resisted for a Decade and half longer. The Crow,Blackfeet And Shoshone were able to somewhat peaceably remain neutral and we’re allotted Reservations in their tribal homeland. After the tragic episodes of 1870s,-1890 The Sioux And Northern Cheyenne Settled onto small Reservations on their tribal lands. The Northern Arapaho allies of the Cheyenne & Teton Sioux were placed onto the Eastern Shoshone Reservation-despite being longtime enemies of ‘Chief Washakie’ and the Eastern Shoshone bands. I have no definitive date on this Relic.
        Last edited by Sage hen jack; 09-08-2019, 11:51 AM.

Comment

You people keep searching.......all types of artifacts to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo_joe View Post
            Dwain Rogers papered it and said that most Cheyenne arrows have bird of prey fletching, but this one is a red-dyed turkey feather.
            That's good.

There are a lot of great relics that cannot be sold because they violate federal laws around birds of prey, migratory birds, and/or endangered species acts. (Even ancient items are covered by them.)

Most auctions of Mandan & Arikara material (which are more likely to contain items from species that are covered by federal law) are vetted by an fish & wildlife expert to remove any potential issues, and the items are donated. I think the fine is up to $250,000 per item for a collector for items bought or sold, and it doubles for businesses that buy or sell items (an auction house could be hit with $500K per item) if they tag it as a felony. (I think there is some latitude on the fines depending on the situation.)

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Yes Sir Clovisoid your spot on. Those are the Laws and Turkey and non B-prey feathers were used prolifically by tribes since well before the turn of the Century. They used what was available.

Comment

I have been to the battlefield twice, and love everything associated with it!
                South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                X