Comment

• Chazzybear
      Chazzybear commented
      Editing a comment
      Broken bannerstone and pestle type tool damage on both ends

One was a bannerstone!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I’m with Greg on the Banner, alas , our hearts are easily broken with the artifacts..... JJ
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Nice collection of hardstone artifacts. Too bad the bannerstone was broken. I've found three of them and all were split down the middle. Two of mine were made of greenstone as yours appears to be and one was made of banded slate. Never found the other side. I always wondered what happened to make them break. Of course they would break at the weakest point. But because we don't know for sure exactly what they were used for (it is thought by many archaeologists and accepted by many that they were used as counter balances on the atlatyl throwing stick) we can't be sure what kind of accident would cause them to break. I would think that because of all the work involved to make them that the users would try to be careful during their use.

Comment

I think I’m starting to be glad I’ve never found a bannerstone, I would probably drive myself insane trying to figure out what it was used for,

cool finds, C~bear👍
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

The fields down here in south jersey have been farmed since the late 17th century so i guess its possible that alot of the damage to these tool come from plows for the last 300 years or so. I have a couple pestles that have been hit by plows a dozen times so. Maybe the bannerstone just got crushed from field work , tractors ,plows, horses ,trucks etc

Comment

• sailorjoe
              sailorjoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Could be agricultural related damage in some cases could be an explanation for your artifact and elsewher;; however I believe that because of so many that are found are split at the hole then I tend to believe it had more to do with how they were used. But we likely will never know for sure. Another of the mysteries of bannerstones is that apparently they only occur in the eastern USA in spite of atlatyls being used throughout the Americas.

• Jethro355
              Jethro355 commented
              Editing a comment
              The reason for actual breakage may never be known, but the reason they break at the hole is pretty obvious. It’s the weak spot...which I think may be what you said, but I used Arkansas words.🙃
          Working...
          X