Pretty little veined quartz point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty little veined quartz point

Found this weekend. Just me--left the boys at home, but then again, 7 am is just too early for some teens. Nice veined quartz Piscataway?? or Morrow Mtn?? I was real excited until I saw the Yadkin 30 minutes later. Heartbreaker!!!! But cool rhyolite. Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	392137 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	392138
    Last edited by Hoss; 09-18-2019, 06:35 PM.
    North Carolina

Nice finds, I see a lot of Carolina Yadkins with rounded ears, that one has pointed ears like we find in Georgia.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Nice finds Carolina Hunter it's awesome having new NC members here! The Quartz point sure is beautiful. If I found it in my area I would think Morrow but I don't know much about Piscataway points I believe they are out of my range. So maybe someone else will have some more thoughts. To bad the tip is broken on the Yadkin still a great find. I also can't wait to see more of those shark teeth I only hunt the beach Wrightsville but I sure enjoy it! If small enough I would put Randolph into consideration.
      Last edited by Sugaree; 09-16-2019, 07:22 PM.
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Cool finds. I found something similar a while back.

New York

Comment

Love the veined quartz piece. Aren't Piscataway and Yadkin from the same period? I have a lot of Morrow Mountains but the shoulders are a little more defined on most of mine. But I do have a couple that look like yours. I'm absolutely not the person to identify anything, but I like your finds!
          South Carolina

Comment

The attractive veined piece looks like Morrow Mt.
            Child of the tides

Comment

Nice pulls CH...not trying to blow your mind or anything...but see how the base has serrations... It may have been hafted on the long end and used as a knife. Archaeologist Jack Hraniky wrote a paper about how some points were actually hafted backwards from how we think they were!
              Last edited by utilized flake; 09-16-2019, 10:21 PM.
              North Carolina

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve always thought they were hafted upside down with only one side being used to cut that’s why one side shows perfect and the other side shows resharpening

I initially thought Morrow Mtn since I have found a few of those in the area. I have the mindset that Piscataways are a term for mm found up north. Either way, it's cool in the light. I usually do not clean my points thoroughly--just my way. Thanks for all your input.
              North Carolina

Comment

Cool finds!

Comment

So I got to handle this point yesterday. A pic is worth a thousand words, and after holding it I only have three. I was wrong! It is super thin and not as lensatic as it looks. The tip was at one time sharpened to a point. It was a projectile, and now I owe CH a days worth of work out on his property!
                  North Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Kaz View Post
                    Cool finds. I found something similar a while back.
                    That's a beauty too!

Comment

Working...
                    X