Corner Tang Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corner Tang Knife

I have been what I guess is called lurking on your site for awhile and decided to try and post a few of our finds over the years. Started collecting in the late 60's with most of the finds during the 70's. Pretty much all from Wyoming. Don't see very much about corner tang knives so thought I would show this one my wife and I found. She found the tip and hollered dang found the tip of what was probably a knife so I went over to where she was and since the dirt was fairly loose I scratched around to see if I could find anything like I always do when I find something broken. 99% of the time you don't find anything but I always try. Anyway I found the base part right there where she picked up the tip but I first tried to make it fit like a normal hafted point or knife is. It didn't fit so I thought it was missing a piece which with further scratching around I couldn't find. I looked at the pieces and realized the break was similar and when I put them together realized holy cow Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	599
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	392875 Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	392876it's a corner tang knife. We knew they were pretty rare and was pretty tickled about it. I'll try to post a few more pictures later. Hope you enjoy.
    Wyoming

Glad you have decided to jump in and very nice introduction! That is a sweet piece.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Perseverance paid off!! Very nice!
      glad you decided to post. Welcome from coastal Virginia.
      Child of the tides

Comment

Great find , welcome.
        Wyoming

Comment

Nice knife, good to have you in the forum, welcome from Ga.
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Holy Cow! HOLY BISON
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for sense of humor!

Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	512
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	392887 Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	540
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	392888 At a later date which I can't remember now we found this knife at a different campsite but the camps are on opposite sides of a mesa type formation that could be traveled back and forth in probably a couple hours so i'm sure both campsites would have been used by the same people. I think they were made by the same person using the same material.
            Wyoming

Comment

Is all the material that color? Nice saves and welcome from Georgia
              NW Georgia,

Comment

• realistone
                realistone commented
                Editing a comment
                No we have a large variety of different cherts and other material that i'm too dumb to to know the correct name of them. I think the material of these knives is Tiger Chert. At least that's what we called it.

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Tiger fits the design good looking stuff. Thanks for sharing and hope to see more of your finds

Cool finds and another welcome from Ga.

Anyone know the use for the corner tang?

Comment

• Rio Del Norte
                Rio Del Norte commented
                Editing a comment
                A tang knife has a handle attached for better cutting leverage or longer reach.

First, welcome from Arkansas...then...holy smokes man, that’s a beautiful couple blades!!
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Oh my!!!!
                San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

Comment

Oh brother, those are just gorgeous.

I don't see a lot from Wyoming on this board and, based on these, that's a pity.
                  California

Comment

Welcome to our forum from Alabama. On my "Dandy Scale" that knife scores a 10+ !! The lithic is like nothing we ever see in the Southeast,beautiful. Glad you are here. The lanceolate shaped knife is super as well.

Comment

Very nice, and rare. I use to think in my early years of hunting that they were a shamans knife. Later, as I educated myself I found that they were buffalo gutting knives. I’ve found one complete with implement dings on one edge. My fellow hunters like Mikey finds one every few years or so. Congrats to wife and you !
                      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• realistone
                        realistone commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I hadn't heard that before and can see how it was used that way. If you look at both of these blades you can see that one side is shaped to be used scraping and the other side is knife shaped so they were multi use tools also.

That is an outstanding find. Just beautiful. Welcome from South Carolina.
                      South Carolina

Comment

Working...
                      X