No announcement yet.

Corner Tang Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the forum, and don't hesitate to show off. We love to see points from all over bc I sure don't find material like that in NC. Best corner tang knife I've ever seen.
    North Carolina

Comment

Awesome find! Most of the ones I have seen from up your way have been midback tangs. Great example of the importance of checking out the area around broken points, it won’t pay off most of the time, but when it does it can make all of the other attempts worth it.

Originally posted by georgiafieldwalker View Post
      Cool finds and another welcome from Ga.

Anyone know the use for the corner tang?
      They are most commonly found in Texas (Wyoming is the other hot spot), and there was a pretty significant study on them a while back. One style showed use wear polish in the notches similar to beads, which implies that they were hafted on a cord thong/strap, likely around the wrist of the user. You could drop the knife to grab something with both hands while butchering an animal, and it wouldn’t get buried in the mix. They were probably used for cutting thin strips of meat and for deboning meats for drying/preserving.

When knappers have hafted and used them, they needed to be very careful because that neck tends to be pretty delicate and it snaps if pressure is too focused on one area.

The other style tends to be more uniface, and often showed asphalt hafting (indicating a handle of some sort) and sheen from cutting grasses/plants.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

WTG on finding both pieces. That is a killer find.

Comment

Wyoming one of our most beautiful states, and think you have strawberry-colored flint out there. (As newbie, I’m just aesthetic commentator, and your Tang tops!)
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

That’s beautiful! Thanks for sharing
          South Dakota

Comment

Now That is real pretty. Good story too. Thanks
            FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Working...
            X