Guilford Axes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guilford Axes

Here is a selection of Gilford axes I have found, not as nice as the ground stone axes but I would think they were nearly as effective. They are from South East Georgia all from one site. Never found any ground axes in site, just a few fragments of the stone axes where the have been broke. Click image for larger version  Name:	100_6630.JPG Views:	1 Size:	113.8 KB ID:	392969
    Last edited by willjo; 09-21-2019, 11:53 AM.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Sweet, Willjo! We call them Bow-Tie Axes/Bolen Axes. I've found them with Bolens... Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00928.jpg Views:	2 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	392972 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00930.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.4 KB ID:	392971
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• willjo
      willjo commented
      Editing a comment
      Tom they worked yours better than they did my axes

Great examples guys. The ancient version of the double bit axe.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

good stuff Johnny
      Wyoming

Comment

Correction on name of ax in our area. The name is Gilford ax and Joffre Coe recovered two of the axes in the Guilford level.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Josie
          Josie commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't know that. I thought it was Guilford ax. I think I have a couple.

• willjo
          willjo commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't know it either until after I posted this and went to the tool book and looked it up again.

Awesome pieces. Are the Guilford axes earlier time period than the grooved/ground axes?
        North Carolina

Comment

• willjo
          willjo commented
          Editing a comment
          According to Joffre Coe an archaeologist that studied the Carolina Piedmont They were around the Guilford projectile point period. I think the ground axes were different time periods and cultures.
          Last edited by willjo; 09-21-2019, 04:35 PM.
      Working...
      X