Lind coulee,Parman, Cascade shouldered and More Far west Artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lind coulee,Parman, Cascade shouldered and More Far west Artifacts

All found in the late 1950s -1972 by my Dad and myself Except for the bone handle/hafted Knife. It was a surface find in a cliff overhang by an old timer from Lakeview Ore in early 50s. My Dad traded some nice points for it. Parman,Lind Coulee,Cascade shouldered, Night Fire, And more Grace this frame.

Wow! Beautiful pieces of lithic work! It's extra special for those to be personal finds, as well as the finds of your dad.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Fabulous stuff, Jack.

Bone handled knife is extraordinary.

Tell me about the point in the last picture - grey lithic with fan shaped base, as I think I might have one like it.

All the points are really nice too. Great variety of shape and material.

I'm quite envious.
      California

Comment

• Sage hen jack
        Sage hen jack commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Tomf. I believe the grey point point is probably jasper and is a either a ‘Need stemmed Lanceolate’ or a ‘Night Fire’ which is believed to be an older but similar type.

Those were the good days I’ve had some old farmers tell me they used to have to scrape the points to the sides of the fields just to get them out of the way for planting. Hard to imagine that now days. When it takes so long just to find one. You have some killers in that frame
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Awesome collection man ..you and Dad done real good
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Just a beautiful group if artifacts . Such great shape and that obsidian seems to have survived the best .
          really nice and I hear stories of what it was like back then picking up points . Now that knife you almost wonder who age that . NA or mountain man that found a point . You never know very unique .

Comment

• Sage hen jack
            Sage hen jack commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks everyone for nice compliments on this old frame. Yes Tam the Overstreet lists the hafted Knife as Transitional-Historic phase’ so there’s a broad later span/time frame. The Obsidian Blade is still firmly set in the bone. The blade appears worked down some, so was probably a bit larger at one time. The Bone looks like a rib bone to me. When my daughter was a Nurse 20 years ago. She had a Co-Worker x-ray it for me. The stem of the Obsidian Knife Point is about 1” long.

Great collection love the bone handled knife . I stopped for lunch at the park across from the Lakeview store on one of my scouting trips to the Great Basin .

Comment

• Sage hen jack
            Sage hen jack commented
            Editing a comment
            When I was a youngster my Dad took me over one time to meet that old Timer friend from Lakeview. I had found the tiniest 1/2” most perfect clear Fox eared Obsidian Point -a true G-10 plus. My Dad wanted to show if off to him. The old guy looked at it for few minutes with amazement. He then walked in the house and came out with a coffee can of huge perfect points. Some were no doubt Paleo. He said he’d trade me some for my little Gem. I said naw. I wanna keep it! I’ve always wondered from time to time over the years if he maybe had a couple perfect Black Rock Concave Points in that Can! I was a teenager at the time. My Dad and I didn’t have a Book like the Overstreet guide back then. They were just old Arrowheads to a lot of folks,But we thought they were special

Well how cool is that to get a x-ray on that . Not these days right .

Comment

Great frame of points. Must be some great memories tied to those.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Outstanding Jack.
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Wow nice collection and memories!!! Thanks for posting them. It’s a real treat to see a hafted knife.

Von

Comment

Working...
                X