Small Shield Bannerstone, Banded Slate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Shield Bannerstone, Banded Slate

Acquired my first bannerstone ever from a bottle collector who dug it out of a creekside bank near Finger Lakes Region, NY. The photo of the hole's slightly tapered interior was taken with a phone camera held up to the eyepiece of a microscope at 10x. Redneck Photomicroscopy! The interior walls look pitted to me. The exterior of the slate is so smooth, so worn, it is a pleasure to hold.

Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

Going to need a outside pic of the hole for anyone to be able to see the details
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Surface - so you mean a closer close-up of outside rim of hole? More close-up than I have uploaded? If so, can do. But let me ask by way of discussion: what better evidence of age/authenticity can there be than the *interior* walls of the hole at 10x? Have I stumbled onto a new technique here? A 10x photo of hole interior? Can't say I have seen one before. So if the hole was drilled by a modern drill bit, we would see a series of closely spaced, spiral striations. Correct? And what is visible here is a largely smooth wall with pitting. And how do you get pitting inside a smooth, slate tube? Only by a few thousand years of being buried in the ground. That's my guess, my take. What ya think? If someone would send me a modern drilled piece of slate, I'll photograph its interior at 10x and we can have a look-see.
      Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

Comment

I think you made a great pick up and the photos are good too.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I liked it on the other site, and I like it even more here!

A great purchase.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Sweet pickup!!!

Congratulations!

Von

Comment

I like it.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Much better pic of the inside drill section
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Pretty nice pickup! You’re lucky to own one
                  South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                  X