Scraper, Preform, Steak Knife, or....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraper, Preform, Steak Knife, or....

Over the last few years, I have acquired at least 4 similar pieces here in Central NY that have me wondering about their intended function: they are flat and extremely thin - like 2 or 3 mm., they are finely worked all the way around - including a very sharp 'base', and in general they look to be not very robust at all. An experienced local collector suggested they were hafted scrapers, with the narrow end hafted and the broad end doing the scraping. If this is true, it must have been some 'light' scraping. They are so thin! Someone else suggested they are a preform: a preform for what end purpose I cannot guess. And lastly, I am postulating that they might be simply small, sharp knives: narrow end hafted and sharp, broad end used to cut tonight's elk steak.

They only other pieces I have that are similar in form.....are my Meadowood Cache Blades: could the piece pictured here be a Meadowood Cache blade that didn't make it into a cache? Thanks!
    Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

So an inch wide at the base and looks like about 3 inches long?
    South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
      So an inch wide at the base and looks like about 3 inches long?
      Yes. And just 2 or 3 mm thick - that's the mystery to me.

Comment

Looks like a knife to me
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Looks like Onondaga chert. A knife would exhibit edge wear/usage. It may be impossible to completely positively identify. It also shares some of the same characteristics of a Meadowood or Hopewell Cache Blade.
          Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

It looks like a scraper that was hafted in a socketed handle. It wouldn't have to be heavy to flesh hides.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

The little bulb on the top left of picture 3 looks like it was left intentionally. Working end looks like scraper

Comment

Some of these things will never be ID'd, this being close to one of them. I think it was a lightly used knife.
                "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

If it was used as a scraper, you may see little step fractures on the working end.
                  South Dakota

Comment

Don’t know what it is for sure but it’s a killer find congrats.

Comment

I think that is a Meadowood cache blade. I don't think there is any exception to the flaking, and nothing really intentional, it's just the the blade was flaked. No two are alike, just similar. That would fit nicely into a cache of Meadowoods.
                      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Originally posted by pkfrey View Post
                        I think that is a Meadowood cache blade. I don't think there is any exception to the flaking, and nothing really intentional, it's just the the blade was flaked. No two are alike, just similar. That would fit nicely into a cache of Meadowoods.
                        That was my suspicion, Paul. So delicate an artifact!

Comment

• pkfrey
                          pkfrey commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yep, That's how Meadwoods are, cardboard thin, and the only thing left to do when they recover the cache is flake each side with shallow notches. A lot of times these caches are found with a hardstone artifact, and it will often be a birdstone! Or a double bit chisel. These caches are found with as few as fifteen points, to as many as over a hundred blades And almost always made from Onondaga chert..
                      Working...
                      X