No announcement yet.

March goes out like a lamb!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Hopewell, bevel throwing me off a bit. Chris will ID when he sees it. It’s a killer no matter what you call it, if I found it I’d call it mine lol. Congrats!!

Comment

That's a beauty!
      South Carolina

Comment

Nice score Flint! I appreciate the insitu and clean up pics!

That is a classic Hopewell point. Many Hopewell points exhibit straight or excurvate sides, the blade is flat and not lenticular (archaic) and many will exhibit large percussion scars. Pressure flakes which trim the blade are short and often blade edges will be angular and chipped by short champfering flakes. Many times resharpening will show a bevel-like treatment. Bases are usually fan shaped though some may be straight and basal grinding is very light if at all while most do not have any grinding. The material looks to be Upper Mercer (Coshocton) black though it could be Skyhill chert as there is a glossy variety of that flint, would need to see the point to accurately identify the material. Keep in mind we have a strong Ohio native american influence on our artifacts here in western PA.
        Last edited by paohrocks; 04-01-2020, 07:30 AM.
        Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• pkfrey
          pkfrey commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank You, Pao! I just saw this, and was going to post about exactly what you just said, so now I can move on!! But I would agree 100%, Hopewell.

Your insightful input has been very helpful!
        This is a fine forum!

Flint
        northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

• paohrocks
          paohrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Your welcome Flint, glad to help.

Superb. Check out the bevels.

That other (mostly) whole point is a beauty too..
        California

Comment

Working...
        X