Bannerstone Cores and a heartbreaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bannerstone Cores and a heartbreaker

There was a relatively small auction a couple weeks back of a collector who I had met a couple times at shows. He had a great collection of paleo items (nothing perfect, just a lot of great locally found paleo tools and broken points.) I bid on several items, and one of the things I noticed were 5 small bannerstone cores tucked in one of the frames.

There is a type of bannerstone in Southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky called a Clarksville Bannerstone, usually made from hardstones like quartzite instead of slate. The holes are rather unique, and the reed drilling often produced a "donut hole" of leftover core. Several types of hard stone banners produce cores, but the Clarksville style often have a bit more flare to them. They aren't common finds and I was really excited to get 5 of them at once. I remember looking at some Art Gerber had when I was younger, and just really thought they were cool.

Here are the five.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	435887

This is the frame with the other stuff, a couple of cool paleo bases from a site the collector documented.

Name:	
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	435888

This is the frame as it arrived.

Name:	
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	435889

Looks like someone at the auction noticed the cores and "nicked" them at the preview. The auction house was very apologetic, I believe they looked for them, but stuff happens. And that's the heartbreaker here.

I still got about 40 cool busted up Clovis/Fluted points, midsections & bases for my collection, as well as a bunch of non-fluted Dalton/Quad stuff he hunted, so I'm not too disappointed
    Last edited by clovisoid; 04-02-2020, 08:38 AM. Reason: Trying to insert pictures again
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Nice stuff! Looks like I pushed enough buttons to get it approved Joshua! 😂
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

• clovisoid
      clovisoid commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for unlocking me twice! I left a typo in there, but I'm not going to change it because it seems like I've got bad juju today.

• cgode
      cgode commented
      Editing a comment
      😂

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      I just had to unlock it again LOL

Points to be proud of, nice.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Nice score. All his personal finds? The site or sites he walked! Can't imagine .
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Very nice clovisoid!
        Last edited by paohrocks; 04-02-2020, 06:56 AM.
        Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

those a very cool
          Wyoming

Comment

Very cool...I would guess these came from around the northern salt licks.....Nice..
            North Central Kentucky

Comment

nice aquisition. Joshua. This are way cool
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Greg, there are a lot of personal finds, those have site numbers on them. Some of them were purchases, and they have a sticker with a price tag.
                Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
                X