No announcement yet.

Connecticut Quartz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyson you are right This is definitely a Knife form.     
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I found this in a customers garden laying on the surface while doing Hvac work. Could use some help identifying this point.Thanks in advance.Max

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like a big piece of ledge quartz. Not a point in my opinion.

That is a great artifact. Here in N Central Mass we have a river valley that has many sites with lots of quartz points and debitage. On one rocky hillside there is a big vein of quartz that was mined, and on many of the sites there are remains of quartz river or glacial cobbles that the N/A's used. Artifacts that have the core or rind of the stone on the base are usually Small Stem type points. It makes me wonder if the use of mined vein quartz was from an earlier time, predating the Small Stem traditions. Then for some reason, probably ease of gathering the material, they switched over to river/glacial cobbles.

Comment

From what I learned reading the small stem essay in Jeff Boudreau's expanded typology, most small stem quartz points are Lamoka related, all are the products of a quartz pebble industry, in other words, not quarried quartz, and the majority are not projectile points, but were instead used for other tasks. And Wading River points should be regarded as the non side notched version of Lamoka. The adoption of a quartz pebble industry permitted much more flexibility in movement, both temporally and spatially, since they would not need to replenish by having to periodically return to quarry sites or outcrop sites.

In this instance, Hoss's large quartz piece may be a Neville. One reason I say this is because Boudreau illustrates two small stem quartz points found in a Neville component of an excavated site, and the stems on the small stems had the exact proportions of the stems on the larger Neville points found there. Therefore, the small stems in that instance were interpreted as heavily resharpened Nevilles, and those small stems would have been interpreted as Wading River points if they had been found as surface finds anywhere else. Although few Neville points were made of quartz, the form shown by Hoss's point could easily be interpreted as a Neville point, IMHO, but it could be a different type altogether.....
        Last edited by CMD; 11-19-2017, 01:28 PM.
        Rhode Island

Comment

It also could be Adena related..

Comment

Working...
          X