Squibnocket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squibnocket?

Hi everyone! I found this base this morning in central CT. I know it's not much to look at, but I was wondering if any of the New Englanders/Northeasterners around here could weigh in concerning typology. It does not have any grinding of the basal concavity, or on the sides of the base (though there might be light grinding on one side, but I'm not quite sure). Based on this information, would you call this a Squibnocket triangle? Many thanks in advance for your opinions!

Justin Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200703_072619.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	466697 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200703_072631.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	466698 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200703_070239 (1).jpg
Views:	227
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	466699

That sure looks like a (MD. found) broken Hardaway Dalton/side-notched thing that I'm looking at on my desk - your point seems well thinned too! NICE.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• Poquonock
      Poquonock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comment, Olden. Hardaway-Dalton crossed my mind, too, but I guess I ruled it out because of the small size and apparent lack of grinding. Also, I understand that the Hardaway-Dalton type is problematic in New England for a variety of reasons, though they do exist in one form or another. Don't get me wrong though, I would love to have found one!

Yep, very rare in MD. too https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...thern-maryland

The point on my desk is the only one I've found in over fiddy years of searching.. lightly ground (if at all), well thinned base, broken tip, and about the very same size as yours. Eight to ten thousand years can take take a toll on the fine little flared bits. I guess we'll see what others say..

Comment

I tried to get a few decent pics: between the humidity, and my crap camera, these are the best I could come up with. Both of our points look like the were road hard and put away wet, but I'm just callin' it a 'rustic patina'
    It was found about five miles south of D.C., and not too far from the Potomac River. Finding lithics such as flint or jasper is a very rare treat here - I believe it was all brought from PA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hard.Dalton-MD.-4.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	467385

Name:	Hard.Dalton-MD.-7.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	467382

Name:	Hard.Dalton-MD.-1.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	467383

Name:	Hard.Dalton-MD.-3.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	467384

Comment

• Poquonock
      Poquonock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the pics, Olden! That's a real beauty! That one ear leaves little doubt regarding typology. So cool. And, you were spot on re: the similar size of our points. It's interesting that chert and jasper are uncommon in your area. I always assumed that those of us in southern New England had the worst case of lithic envy lol. Thanks again, Olden. Much appreciate your time and effort!
Working...
X