Hotter than Hades and high corn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotter than Hades and high corn!

I told myself I wasn’t gonna do it but I broke down and headed into the cornfield this morning. Armed with my wide brimmed hat and a bunch of water I did a perimeter walk and found a tiny thumbnail scraper. Next up I found a hastily made beat up small knife and a piece of catlinite. Back up the hill in the tall corn I found the chunk of what looks like some type of heavily worked quartz. Not sure what this was or was supposed to be but very cool material. Last was another tiny broken Dalton. Blows me away as to how these were made and why so small. Not a bad day at all. I exited the field with an empty water bottle and totally soaked through.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

I salute you for even being out there today...true dedication...nice group of finds ...I believe your dalton is actually a Madison...shame the tips gone. Your on a good site when you find catlinite...keep on huntin’👍
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

I usually freeze a bottle of water and carry a damp kitchen towel in a small cooler. When it turns smoking hot I go to the cooler for a quick wipe down its very refreshing. Glad you were able to look now go jump in the creek. I bet you find a killer.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Thanks guys. Oops on the Madison ID. Must be the heat
        🥵

Comment

You earn them when it is hot out there as it is today. good finds
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Here’s a shot of the field. The corn in the foreground was planted late because the ground was black muck in that area. Where the short corn stops in the distance you can see the high ground comes up quick. The corn on the high ground is about five feet high now. This is the main area where most of my finds have come from. The catlinite pipe I found was at the border where the short and tall corn meet.

Comment

Dive into that tall corn area in oct. when it’s yellow and still standing. All that summer rain is going to expose many more.
              if you wait until after harvest, you may not find any bare ground at all.........✌️
              Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Originally posted by Up-north View Post
                Dive into that tall corn area in oct. when it’s yellow and still standing. All that summer rain is going to expose many more.
                if you wait until after harvest, you may not find any bare ground at all.........✌️
                I’m planning on that. I think it’s cattle feed corn or for silage. The only thing left after the combine goes through is stalks about eight inches high so not a lot of waste on the ground that I remember.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                  SurfaceHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Depends on their machine. Here no vacuum so it just scatters

I gota admire your tenacity for getting out there in this weather. They've been picking sweet corn in my area for a month. Field corn is getting high but will be harvested much later. I'm in coastal Alabama. We can get in 2 crops of sweet corn a year down here.

Comment

It's sooo humid here. For me, it's the humidity. I went tonight about 8:00 and found two so I quit. But I also like going after the sun goes down. Seems like I can see so much better. I know you guys don't have this problem but the humidity can make my hair really scary looking😁
                  South Carolina

Comment

• Josie
                    Josie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I got a few to post. I haven't gone hunting as much. But my husband told me tonight that I have until Sept 1st. Then my favorite spot is gone until Jan 2nd when deer season is over.
                    Last edited by Josie; 07-03-2020, 09:17 PM. Reason: Deer not dear

• Josie
                    Josie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gosh, Up-north, I have been humiliated before coming home from my hunting spot and have unexpected company show up.

• antmike915
                    antmike915 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm scary looking regardless of hair

Yep. Humid and 94 in Michigan. Not a good mix for me. I work in construction so it’s worse on the job site. Can tear a person down quick but I needed an artifact fix so what’s a guy gonna do?
                  😁

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                    SurfaceHunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Heatwave up north and it gets so cold in the winter just ain't fair. I hope you have ac.

• Josie
                    Josie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, you have to go! I understand! 94 is hot anywhere.

Glad you got out Trav, you're braver than me, I haven't got to the point of not caring about the heat..... yet.
                  🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Not a bad day considering the heat, humidity and corn stalks! Those things will tear you up!
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                    X