Indian point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian point

I found this item at the waters edge of Lake Superior in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. It looks to be napped from chert or flint and measures 2 3/4” x 1 1/4”. Can anyone date this and let me know what it is.

What is this and how old.

Comment

You found a blade, and a nice one.
      hard to put a age on it, unless you found some other artifacts near it......👍
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Blades like this were made through all time periods in stone age North America . I agree with up north the only way to take a guess would be if you found other artifacts in context. The other artifacts would have to be finished points and you could determine diagnostic traits. It might narrow down an age but it would still be just a guess. We are not the only people who pick things up and bring them home. Natives also foraged and found curiosities from earlier people and would move them . Nice find. I wish we could help more. Something I know is this. The more I learn makes me realize how little I really know. I learn everyday on this site. We welcome you.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome from Georgia, definitely a blade you found. Looking forward to seeing your finds.
          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

When you see the flakes run all way across point or blade this is normally a sign of paleo material, it is usually really thin. Nice blade.
            South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Lindenmeier-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree, I think it’s a early point. Just to water worn ...

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, my first thought was that the flaking looked early...

Nice artifact!
            SW Connecticut

Comment

I found this item in the general area of the blade that I found. It doesn’t look like a normal rock formation, could it be Indian related. It is like a point but is rounded and the bottom looks like it may have been napped and there is a worn area on each side. It measures 3” long and 4 1/4” around the base. Any ideas? Either way it’s a cool item.

Comment

First thought was what Willjo said the flaking looks old . But water worn hard to determine .

Comment

I found these two rocks in the same area as I found the blade. Don’t know if they’re natural formation or Indian related. The smaller one fits perfectly in the hand and is worn on one side edge and bottom. Scraper of some kind (?). The big one was just cool so I picked it up.

Comment

The first one is a knife and as Hoss says no way to tell the age on that piece. But I don't think it is Paleo in age. The other rocks look to be water worn pebbles. They come in all shapes and sizes.

Comment

Just had a bad storm last night so I took a walk on the beach to see if anything washed in and found this small rock. You can still feel the grooves in it, it was either chiseled or wrapped with wire or leather at one time. Any ideas what it is and how old? A charm necklace maybe? Its old and worn.

Comment

Nice blade in first pic...i agree 2nd set looks natural and not sure bout last pic....welcome to the site, thanks for sharing and keep up the hunt.
                        Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

You certainly have a nice find in your first posting but I’m all too familiar with your water worn pebbles because I find them all the time along the southern Chesapeake Bay.
                          Child of the tides

Comment

Old stone pounding grinding tool or water washed stone? My hand fits perfectly over the stone with the chips in it.

Comment

Working...
                            X