75 Pound Ancient Puzzle Stone Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75 Pound Ancient Puzzle Stone Bowl

I received a 75 pound stone puzzle from an express shipping company that I will not name... I assume it was heavier than they wanted to lift so they just rolled it around and possibly straight out of the truck. This stone bowl stands over 13 inches tall, has an outer diameter of over 17 inches, an inner diameter of 13 inches, and a bowl depth of over 11 inches. Well it did before but now I got a project. It was found in L.A. county California. Ex Byron Anderson and Mitch Lewis Collection.
    Attached Files
    SE ARKANSAS

Well that sucks!!!!
    Wyoming

Comment

Cry just a tiny bit and only for a second, then big sigh, shoulders back, and set up project space. But, you already there, because you know we all waiting to see Bowl in its glory! Shoot, I bet folks will be sending you stuff to restore once they see it displayed in your Museum....
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Wow man!
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Insured? We all hope so for you.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Oh man.... I would be some kind of messed up mad at a delivery “service”.
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Artifascination
              Artifascination commented
              Editing a comment
              Angry and disgusted to say the least!

I would be raising hell with whoever delivered that, but with that weight it doesn't suprise me, I used to mail out boxes of site material to a friend and he told me a few times the boxes were falling apart when they arrived, obvious that they were dropped and thrown around.
            🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Artifascination
              Editing a comment
              Yep this one was pretty obvious before I opened the box...

Hi again Arti,- If you never put something like this before, this is what the professionals do. Get a sturdy box, fill it half way with sand. Set your pieces your glueing together in the sand and you can angle them in the direction you need for them to stay together until the glue is dry Allow 24 hours before you move them. If you can, try to start at one place in the project and work from there until done. We use a water soluble glue so if you make a mistake you can dissolve it and continue. I'm sorry for you, you have a wonderful piece. I wish you the best. Kim
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Artifascination
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the advice Kim. I will try that out.

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Very good, and not just for artifacts.... now I’ll have a box of sand sitting on dining room table with all the other stuff that just seems outta place! (I break a lotta stuff)

Ouch... That's absolutely awful. I've had it happen to me before with pottery, and it's just a horrible feeling to know that something that survived for so long was "undone" by modern transportation.
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Oh Gaud ! Remember the old American Tourister gorllla commercial ??? That is what I think of when packaging anything...
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Artifascination
                Editing a comment
                Remember Ace Ventura as the delivery man lol!!!

That really stinks
              Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Oh sure... blame the Mailman...

Just kidding. That stinks, man. I hate that for ya.
                Western Kentucky

Comment

• clovisoid
                  clovisoid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Username checks out...

Hey Ryan, I would surely collect the insurance on that one. When I get 30 pound boxes of rocks they come all bashed up. I don't mean to be to mean to the USPS but when I ship something of value I use a different carrier.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I once had a major fossil dealer in Europe ship me a nice fossil trilobite that had been found in the Czech Republic. He used a soft shoe box, no interior packaging material, you know, like bubble wrap, or styrofoam peanuts. Nothing. Just loose in a shoe box. As soon as it was handed to me, and I shook the shoe box, I could hear a bunch of rocks clanking, lol. I mean really, you’re kidding!! He offered to repair. I declined, had it repaired in the states, and the dealer sent me a free trilobite to compensate.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                  X