No announcement yet.

Different piece with a story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That artifact takes my breath away and makes me want to hold & covet it ... Thanks so much for a chance to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by realistone View Post
      On one of my artifact hunting trips I bent over to pick up a large chip and when I did I noticed other pieces embedded in the soil. While pulling them out of the soil I could feel the chips grinding against other pieces. Using my rock flipping pole I proceeded to dig out around 20 to 30 flakes of various sizes. Some showed some flaking on the edges and some were just plain pieces that weren't worked at all. This piece was the only finished one out of the bunch. The ground was a white clay type but right around where the flakes were it was stained a reddish color. I have always thought it was somebodies cache of flakes in a pouch that dissolved long ago. Some of the flakes were of this same material and various other material. It's the only cache I ever found and I was sure hoping I'd dig up some great stuff but that's life. I always liked this piece because of the flaking. Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	490918 Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	490919 Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	490920 Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	490921
      It sounds like a cache of blanks, maybe that one in your pic was flaked like it is BC they used it. Although it seems pretty perfect, no wear. That's an amazing and unusual find to make.
      Anderson County, Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by realistone View Post
        On one of my artifact hunting trips I bent over to pick up a large chip and when I did I noticed other pieces embedded in the soil. While pulling them out of the soil I could feel the chips grinding against other pieces. Using my rock flipping pole I proceeded to dig out around 20 to 30 flakes of various sizes. Some showed some flaking on the edges and some were just plain pieces that weren't worked at all. This piece was the only finished one out of the bunch. The ground was a white clay type but right around where the flakes were it was stained a reddish color. I have always thought it was somebodies cache of flakes in a pouch that dissolved long ago. Some of the flakes were of this same material and various other material. It's the only cache I ever found and I was sure hoping I'd dig up some great stuff but that's life. I always liked this piece because of the flaking. Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	490918 Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	490919 Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	490920 Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	490921
        Hay Realstone, did you save any of the flakes you discovered with this knife? If so would you show them? I would like to see what else was with if. Could be you have some other Paleo flake knives. Kim
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• realistone
          realistone commented
          Editing a comment
          Kim, I initially saved every piece but it was a long time ago and too many things have happened and they have been misplaced somehow. I actually looked all over before I made the post. Some of the pieces were definitely from the same core material and had some edge work.

Thats a super find, would make my year. Just screams paleo. I hope you saved the other flakes.
        SE IA

Comment

Kim, I just went through some bags of pieces that I had tried to sort to material type and found these 2 pieces that may be from that cache. Can't say for sure but they look like similar and are about what I remember.
          Wyoming

Comment

Woops forgot to post the pictures! Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	492087 Click image for larger version

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	492088 Click image for larger version

Name:	016.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	492089 Click image for larger version

Name:	017.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	492090
            Wyoming

Comment

Thanks realistons, Classic Paleo. All of them are worked. If you hunt that site again, keep everything! You might find more worked Paleo. All worth keeping. When I collect a site I start a new box, with a description of the site, along with the Lat. Lon. G.P.S. coordinates for that site. You can't possibly get a better catalog number than a Lat. Lon. I put into that box at least 1 of every type of Lithic. and anything that may better describe the occupation. Kim
              Last edited by Mattern; 09-29-2020, 06:14 PM. Reason: Additional material.
              Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Awesome find and story !!!!
                New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                X