Along the Kalamazoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Along the Kalamazoo

I make my home in Kalamazoo Michigan. A medium size city founded on a bend of the Kalamazoo river. The name is of Native American origin has many interpretations including “place of boiling water”. The town was situated at the convergence of a great many important Native American trails and pathways. Occupation is long and steeped in deep history as evidenced by a Hopewell mound preserved in the city square. Yesterday my wife and I took a walk along a trail on the west bank of the river. The French explorer La Salle cut through the county just north of this area in 1680 on his way to Lake Michigan. The spot we were walking was less than a 1/4 mile from a winter fur trading post dating from 1795. The exact location of this site has been lost to time. We were about the same distance from a know permanent fur trading post founded in 1823 but the site is within the confines of a local cemetery. Walking in this area we spotted a small wash out along the trail. Lots of flakes and debitage all around. The only find from a quick look around was a utilized flake scraper found by my wife. The other find by me may be just a rock but I’m not sure so I thought that I’d tote it home. Found in the same washout as the scraper. Sorry for the long winded post but I’m kinda proud of our local history. Thanks for taking a look.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Nice scraper, unusual shape on rock, looks like it could have been shaped like that by something other than nature
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Great way to score some artifacts...
      Nice little scraper... not sure on the other....✌️
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

This is the kind of post I like best.
        Informative, Historical, Descriptive and Personal.
        Everybody likes a short story.
        This is as good as it gets.
        N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

• HBird
          HBird commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed

Cool story man....I like the Home Plate from Lilliput. Nice scraper as well
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Uncle Trav
          Uncle Trav commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks🤣

Good story...I believe the pentagon is an intentional artifact ( sandstone, ? ), the little lady has the touch, good for her.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

• Uncle Trav
          Uncle Trav commented
          Editing a comment
          Hal, not sandstone but a harder type stone.

Enjoy posts like this Trav. Feels like we are along for the walk and can feel the history.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Good story Trav, gotta appreciate local history, nice scraper too.
          Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Cool history and nice scraper!
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Thanks guys. My permission hunting sites are done for this year. The weather I fear has finally started the downwards spiral for the season. I may be able to hit the washout on the trail a couple of more times. Gonna be a rough ride to get to April I’m afraid. Time to dig into some winter research.
              👍😃

Comment

Thanks for sharing with us. Nice bit of history
                South Dakota

Comment

Took a second quick look at the washout. Found another scraper and what could be a chunky hafted scraper or a graver but it’s hard to tell. Definitely worked but really crude. Maybe just a quick down and dirty multi tool. I was glad to find something as bad weather is on the way soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X