Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Scrapers.

Super Scrapers.
    Hi all. Last week I posted Hafted Scrapers. It was well received with much discussion. Thank you. This week I post another overlooked and little appreciated Artifact, the small scraper. When I was young these were abundant. Dads and Grandpas just didn’t appreciate them and they were tossed by the wayside. Fortunate for me, like many of you I kept everything that was worked by the Red Man. Of course today they are very much appreciated by the modern hunter. Thumb Nails, Side Scrapers, Distal end blades, Racloirs, Convex transverse, and many other forms have been used from long before the Paleo man we are familiar with. In fact it was used by early Bipedal Hominids. “The oldest known stone tools have been found in Ethiopia in sediments dated at between 2.5 million and 2.6 million years old”. The makers are unknown, but may be either early Homo or A. garhi. Of course our finds are much later. It is well known that all Homo Sapiens who arrived in these continents were stone tool makers. Now Meadow Croft and Monte Verde are the best bets for Pre-Cloves Man. With an early, date of more than 14,000 years. And as most of you all know, that 20,000 years occupation isn’t farfetched. So these small scrapers are still, today, the most prevalent Artifact used by the Native Americans. Sorry for the poor Pict. All of these are worked tools found by myself and other family members. Found in Snyder, Union, Northumberland, and Lancaster Counties. Kim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210113_121040.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	524592Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210113_121206.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	524593Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210113_120939.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	524594
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

The sun just came out so I snapped two more Picts. Kim

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210113_133551.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.2 KB ID:	524611Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210113_133509.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.8 KB ID:	524612
    Last edited by Mattern; 01-13-2021, 01:49 PM. Reason: Spell check

Comment

I like scrapers also, they still nor appreciated as they should be, I have a whole case of thumbnail scrapers. they just neat as well as all yours
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Nice assemblage Kim, scrapers are interesting tools and tell a unique story...I have a couple of frames of the nicer ones in my mancave, they make for a nice display but the bulk are in shoe boxes...shame on me.
        Last edited by paohrocks; 01-13-2021, 01:58 PM.
        Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Great bunch of scrapers. I enjoy finding a nice tool as much as a point.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I love my tools as well . Keep my small thumbnail to micro blades in one area and large ones on a box . Really cool ones I’ll put in a case . I do believe it’s time for a tool case.
            Tools can tell a story of a camp from choppers to fine art craftsmanship pieces I believe .
            just my 2 cents

Comment

Great frames always love finding tools and scrapers come in all shapes and sizes
              NWOhio

Comment

Originally posted by willjo View Post
                I like scrapers also, they still nor appreciated as they should be, I have a whole case of thumbnail scrapers. they just neat as well as all yours
                Thanks Willjo. Let's see some of yours.

Comment

Thank you paoh, I'd like to see some of yours too.

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
                    Great bunch of scrapers. I enjoy finding a nice tool as much as a point.
                    Yah me too, so Let's see some of yours too Greg.

Comment

Thanks Tam, good point. Please show some.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwomp13 View Post
                        Great frames always love finding tools and scrapers come in all shapes and sizes
                        That's true Mug. They amaze me. Let us see some you found.

Comment

• Mugwomp13
                          Mugwomp13 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ok I. Will have to wait till morning it almost impossible to show chochton and other dark flints in indoor lighting

Kim i bumped a thread i did on them up to top in Native American lithics and artifacts
                        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Fabulous collection of one of my favorite types of tool. Nice thread, Kim
                          California

Comment

Originally posted by tomf View Post
                            Fabulous collection of one of my favorite types of tool. Nice thread, Kim
                            Thanks Tom I appreciate you comments

Comment

Working...
                            X