Huge rare celt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge rare celt.

8 1/4 inch Cotton rock celt from Pickaway co. Ohio. Very rare to see Cotton rock artifacts.Very light weight for the size.

Never heard of cotton rock before, very cool. Is that a personal find TT? You been sneakin off to Ohio? The bit looks to be in pretty good shape, neat artifact.
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

I have heard of cotton rock but I think that is the first artifact I have seen made of it. Very nice. How is the hardness of it?
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

cgode wrote:

Never heard of cotton rock before, very cool. Is that a personal find TT? You been sneakin off to Ohio? The bit looks to be in pretty good shape, neat artifact.
        I Wish! Its got a few plow scars and bit shows use but pretty good shape.

Comment

rmartin wrote:

I have heard of cotton rock but I think that is the first artifact I have seen made of it. Very nice. How is the hardness of it?
          Ive only seen them in books...Compared to granite its soft, quite light.

Comment

Wow! Now that baby would get the work done. Thanks for the look.

Comment

Cool piece, so soft but not so soft to make into a celt?
              Have always wondered what all the uses for celts are. Beating a rock, even sharpened against a piece of wood has got to be a pain. For war? Lighter, easier to heft? Other purposes?
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Awesome Celt Mark, the only problem with that one is that it is not mine. Like the others have heard of cotton rock but never seen anything made from it. The material is cool what blows my mind is the size of it! That is one huge celt!!!_Bill

Comment

Very interesting, Mark. “Cotton rock” is one of those terms that’s used to describe a variety of lithologies. Sometimes it’s used to loosely describe decomposed chert, but most commonly it’s a limestone where 50% or more of the structural calcium has been replaced by magnesium as Calcium Magnesium Carbonate.
                  That’s certainly what your very impressive item looks like - Magnesian limestone or Dolostone (limestone partially replaced by Dolomite), also known as Dolomitic limestone.
                  Hardness is generally in the region 3.5 - 4, compared to (say) obsidian at 5 - 5.5 or granite at 6 – 7. It will sometimes flake conchoidally, in which case you can get a decent edge on it without resorting to pecking and grinding. Also it sometimes has quartz sand in the matrix which can signifcantly increase the hardness without adding too much to the weight.
                  I don’t know about native Americans but in many cultures there is a tradition of celts being made in apparently unsuitable materials as votive offerings. They are frequently found in burial contexts, or in association with shrines.
                  I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

As usual Roger, thanks for a good explanation! What would we do without you?
                    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

Cool piece, so soft but not so soft to make into a celt?
                      Have always wondered what all the uses for celts are. Beating a rock, even sharpened against a piece of wood has got to be a pain. For war? Lighter, easier to heft? Other purposes?
                      Would have been much easier making this one..Would make a good weapon.

Comment

painshill wrote:

Very interesting, Mark. “Cotton rock” is one of those terms that’s used to describe a variety of lithologies. Sometimes it’s used to loosely describe decomposed chert, but most commonly it’s a limestone where 50% or more of the structural calcium has been replaced by magnesium as Calcium Magnesium Carbonate.
                        That’s certainly what your very impressive item looks like - Magnesian limestone or Dolostone (limestone partially replaced by Dolomite), also known as Dolomitic limestone.
                        Hardness is generally in the region 3.5 - 4, compared to (say) obsidian at 5 - 5.5 or granite at 6 – 7. It will sometimes flake conchoidally, in which case you can get a decent edge on it without resorting to pecking and grinding. Also it sometimes has quartz sand in the matrix which can signifcantly increase the hardness without adding too much to the weight.
                        I don’t know about native Americans but in many cultures there is a tradition of celts being made in apparently unsuitable materials as votive offerings. They are frequently found in burial contexts, or in association with shrines.
                        If you look at the bit it has lots of use. Could not have been heavy duty use because it would have broke.

Comment

If you look at the bit it has lots of use. Could not have been heavy duty use because it would have broke.
                            Sorry, my final remark didn't come over as intended... just commenting in general about adzes in softer stones. I see the wear on the bit for sure. Weapon, as you suggest, would make a lot of sense.
                          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

That is a big ole celt. Nice.

Comment

Working...
                            X