No announcement yet.

A Friend of a Friend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until someone with more knowledge about axes comes along I guess we will never know. Has the look of a Trophy Ax by the ridges but has the look of a Celt on the other end. I’m not trying to pee in your coffee I’m just saying I’ve never ever seen one like it even in all of my books. Not impossible for a only one out there type of thing.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Flint Eastwood
      Flint Eastwood commented
      Editing a comment
      Not my cup of coffee.
      But thanks for not peeing in it. I like it caffeinated, not urinated.

Gonna need all the big guns to target this one. A find like this needs a lot of research.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

That’s awesome! Looks legitimate to me. Maybe a trophy stone tomahawk war club. Mind blowing find for sure.
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

If that thing is legit, which it seems to be by the responses on here, that is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. Lots to learn about that piece

Comment

Not the first time this has happened to me, but I can't even get that that is the same piece in both pictures.
          Every time I've been wrong.
          Missouri

Comment

• outlaws15
            outlaws15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Studied even more and figured it out. Cool find

Lar Hothem's book "The Best of the MidWest" has pictures of similar items on page 136 and 147. He called them Michigan Barbed Axes. Museum grade piece for sure.
          Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Here's a Michigan Barbed that was certified by Bennett
            This my friends is a Rare Full Groved Michigan Barbed Axe. My Dad found this axe in 1939 Oakland County Mi. I have sence had a COA verification from Jim B...

and variations on a theme in Facebook
            Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

That is insanely awesome....i hope that is legit....wait?...your friend of a friend didnt find this on april first did they?
              Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• Flint Eastwood
                Flint Eastwood commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol! No Benji. From what I gather just this past weekend.

• Benji
                Benji commented
                Editing a comment
                That thing is awesome flint.....always wanted to find a grooved axe....if i find one, that would make my day, now if i found the one in your post, id be over the moon for that one....i bet the guy who found that and pulled it out the ground bout fell over

The lithic looks right to me for Celt/stone axe. I have seen something “like” this, but never anything as well made like this....if that makes a lick of sense.

if it’s fake, someone did a tremendous amount of work and with some very simple magnifying tools could be proven either way.
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Originally posted by fldwlkr View Post
                Lar Hothem's book "The Best of the MidWest" has pictures of similar items on page 136 and 147. He called them Michigan Barbed Axes. Museum grade piece for sure.
                I have that book i will take a look maybe tomorrow night
                NW Georgia,

Comment

All I can say is wow wow o my goodness the great Indian gods shined on him wow.

Comment

I honestly don't know how I would act if I found something like that (probably implode). That's a find of a lifetime.
                    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

In cases like this, I get input from my archy friend, Dr. Bowen who has seen just about everything Ohio artifact related. His comment is"If not a fraud this is an Early Woodland period so-called Trophy Axe. The bit should be blunt"

Edit: After looking at the photos blown up and more closely, it certainly looks like the correct manufacturing technique of pecking and grinding. Only an in hand inspection with a lens could tell more. How sharp is the bit. If it has a distinct line sharp edge, that could be a red flag. It should be a rounded edge according to Dr. Bowen.
                      Last edited by Stansbery; 05-11-2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• flintguy
                        flintguy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have seen some video of this find. The end is squared off. No sharpen bit. Flat, rectangle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D49999D0-9C75-4840-81C7-BDCEF6FAEB64.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	554744 This is the closest thing I can find to your friends I didn’t see anything like it exactly we’ll have to resize it I will be back, well I can’t load it have to figure out this new phone. But anyway the one I found close to it was archaic period
                      Last edited by SurfaceHunter; 05-11-2021, 07:42 PM.
                      NW Georgia,

Comment

It was the only picture they offered hard to tell on the bit if it’s sharp or dull
                        NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                        X