Grand Saline, Texas artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Saline, Texas artifacts

Hello to all! Thought i would share some recent finds from my new hometown of Grand Saline, Texas.

I have a friend who is commercially developing some land right near the old downtown in Grand Saline. I knew the spot had great potential for artifacts based on its proximity to the salt flats and a small creek. He gave me permission to look around and these are some of the finds. The lot was recently scraped with a dozer and the upper two feet of topsoil were removed. All of the artifacts were found scattered around the surface of the site in less than a two acre area.

The large metate is probably my favorite artifact, It was upside down and mostly buried but i knew that large of a rock was out of place. I'm really glad i flipped it over!

I have found several nutting stones and hand axes. The nutting stone pictured has every side pecked... never seen that before.

The large, serrated Darl? was found broken in the 3 pieces all right next to each other. The dozer had just run it over.

Enjoy!

Good job preserving what you can before it gets crushed and covered in concrete!!
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Looks like you are on a goldmine. Hit it while you still can!
      Midland Co, TX - "My neck hurts from looking down!"

Comment

We just moved to Grand Saline. Would love to meet up sometime for a hunt.

Comment

Very nice finds.
        Georgia

Comment

Man you have some real beauties there
          Click image for larger version

Name:	tex.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	563848
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
          X