T.A.S. Field School 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T.A.S. Field School 2021

The Texas Archaeology Association held the 2021 Field School in beautiful Kerville, Texas. Yes it was hotter than a $2. pistol, but about 350 of us (or more) had a great time digging on a new ranch on the Guadalupe River. I have never seen such concentrations of fire rock and earth ovens anywhere else in Texas.
    This yearly school is sponsored by The T.A.S. as a way to learn and update yourself about all the different facets surrounding archaeology. This included both prehistoric and historic excavations, metal detecting workshops , cemetery workshops, and lab workshops.
    The different Texas archaeology groups participated in the event including the Houston Archaeology Association and the Hill Country Archaeology Association. This wasn't for professionals only, it was for whoever has the desire to learn and share about the science. The kids group had a great turnout and you would be surprised as to how the kids ran with it, heat be dammed. My crew consisted of a retired engineer, two archaeologists, a student, and me, a retired builder.
    I included pictures of a small part of the digging, and a feature I never saw before. A single use rock oven feature was uncovered at a depth of about 45 cm. below grade. This is how the prehistoric people prepared the ground prior to covering it with firewood, food tubers and more rocks on top.
    If you ever have the chance to participate in an event like this, do it. It's well worth the experience, and you will learn things you never knew.
    Attached Files
    FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Very cool story and pictures Garry!
    Midland Co, TX - "My neck hurts from looking down!"

Comment

Too bad there aren't more opportunities like that across the country for the public and kids especially to get involved with. I was once involved in an excavation in a residential neighborhood, and when the grade school kids were walking home, they would stop by and watch and ask questions, and were almost mesmerized by the operation.

Comment

Excellent! Enjoyed seeing the oven
        South Dakota

Comment

Awesome oppritunity Lone Star. Were there any flint artifacts found?
          Central TX

Comment

• Lone Star
            Lone Star commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes lots of lithic (flinty) artifacts were found. Unfortunately I didn't want to leave my hole enough to get all the pics before they were shuttled to the lab.
            Fortunately we will be assigned the same excavation slots next year because we were just getting to the meaty layer at 30 cm. and deeper. This is where the owner found many mid and early archaic points including Jetta, Uvalde and Pedernales varients.

Awesomeness...looks like a good experience!
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
          X