Utah Rock Art Newspaper Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Rock Art Newspaper Rock

My son and I just got back from a 3 state combination road trip that consisted of fly fishing and exploring in Colorado, Utah and New Mexico. The rivers we fished and explored were the Middle Fork of the South Platte and the headwaters of the Rio Grande in Colorado, Mammoth and Assay Creeks in Utah, and the San Juan in New Mexico Besides the trout, we saw a lot of historical and prehistoric sites. A few of which are off the radar of known sites.
    We found traces of the prehistoric peoples and scattered artifacts in every state, and Yes, we left everything as we found it. Including some stone and pottery artifacts. That was tough for me, but I did it. All was on BLM land and can be accessed by anyone.
    I was amazed at some of the rock art. Of particular note was "Newspaper Rock" in Utah Some of the longest rock art panels I've ever seen. Not as colorful as Pecos Rock Art, but well done and extensive. It was shameful to see how modern graffiti and bullet holes marred some of it, but there is still a lot to see.
    FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Sounds like a great trip Garry. I really your pictures of the rock art! Lots to see when you look closely. You showed great character by leaving the artifacts lay on Federal land! How was the fly fishing? I have fished the Middle Fork and the San Juan, both are great streams.
    Midland Co, TX - "My neck hurts from looking down!"

Comment

• Lone Star
      Lone Star commented
      Editing a comment
      Got trout on all streams in three states. Timing was good.

• Lone Star
      Lone Star commented
      Editing a comment
      The upper Middle Fork is called the Dream Stream from the dam downstream for about eight miles.
      'There were so many fish you wouldn't believe. At any given point if you were wading in the current there would be 3 to 10 fish downstream of your legs just a few feet away, trying to stay in the broken current.

Always loved ancient art, no matter what part of the world it comes from. Two interesting things I noticed in your pics...1) the rabbit tracks. Don't think I have ever saw that before. 2). Men on horseback with bows. What's the date on these petroglyphs? Some of it had to be post contact then.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• Lone Star
      Lone Star commented
      Editing a comment
      Didn't research date, but I bet it's available.

Big fan of rock art.. Sounds like you all had a great trip, lotsa memories..So I have a question, I’m curious as to weather you would have left a hundred thousand dollar G10 Clovis on the ground and said by by...
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• smbore
      smbore commented
      Editing a comment
      lol yer bad....

• Lone Star
      Lone Star commented
      Editing a comment
      No. didn't see the Clovis. I did find 5-8 camps though with lots of lithic scatter in Utah. Way cool.

Here, here, me too!! A BIG fan of prehistoric art! Maybe not all prehistoric though. The man on horseback really catches your eye. There are thousands of these on a huge rock wall in a canyon near Panquitch, Utah. I discovered those on a hike one day. So much to decipher. Everytime you look at the same rock you see something new. Anyone see flying discs and aliens? These are incredible, For anyone to mar or deface these should be a Federal crime. Maybe it is. Who would do such a thing. These are the Rembrandts of the past! Thanks for sharing!!
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Lone Star
      Lone Star commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah it sucks when vandals do their thing. It's always with ignorance.

Petroglyphs best Art I’ve ever seen (and I’ve seen buncha fine stuff, up close and personal!)
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      O, Hal, I saw Petroglyphs Arizona, Nevada all had 5 appendages, wink, wink!

• Lone Star
      Lone Star commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got more from another site I hadn't posted yet. There was so much to look at.

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry..I meant six toed people, they’re all over that wall.I kinda messed that one up...but I haven’t seen any six toed one’s before, I thought it was kinda cool.😎

I could sit and look at that all day

Comment

• Lone Star
      Lone Star commented
      Editing a comment
      I did until my son urged me to look for fish now.

Sounds like a fun trip. How far down into Canyonlands did you make it to? Tough to believe people survived for long in that parched land.
    Coastal Plain of Maryland

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe not so parched eons ago. But, if were, our heritage so very resilient!

• Lone Star
      Lone Star commented
      Editing a comment
      Not too far in the Utah Canyonlands, we were burning fishing time. We found lots of eye candy and trace near "ARCHES" Every state had canyon lands. Just different. It was wetter 3-8 thousand yeas ago. When driving you could only imagine what belly high grass would look like.

there's alot of cool panels here in utah. nice pics.
    Utah

Comment

I just love the rock art. What could’ve been going on in their imaginations?

Comment

Working...
      X