Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two points that I’d love some info on

Hi all,
    Im asking for help in Identifying two points that were found in the west. The first point, the brown one, was found in the sandy dune desert area just outside of Las Cruces, New Mexico. I don’t know the material, but is different from anything I’ve found previously. I’m assuming it’s quite a bit older than most of my other points, which mostly come from the Northern New Mexico area. I can’t tell if it had a base at one time or not. It is relatively thick.

The second, which was found on a property in North West Wyoming, is obsidian that I’m assuming was mined from the obsidian mine in Yellowstone. It is a crude point (knife maybe) but it was clearly worked and is sharp. There were a ton of obsidian flakes in the area, this being an item that was likely left behind at a work site.
    Again, no base and it doesn’t look like it ever had one.
    Any ideas on age and use?

Thank you all for your insight and expertise.

Comment

Any thoughts?

Comment

#1 has a snapped base so it's hard to ID, need better pictures of #2 but from what I can see it looks like a tip to a blade.
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Like Mike says, not enough there to tell much. Also obsidian pics too dark to see detail. Both appear to be blade forms. Maybe percussion flaked. Knapping style of first piece suggests some age, but who knows?
          California

Comment

I’ve lightened the photos in hope of showing more details. I’m at my sisters for thanksgiving, but will get more photos when I return.
            Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Comment

The thing about Arrowheads,knives and other Points is most can be identified as certain types. Even the bases (hating area) that have broken off can usually be identified as easily, tips on the other hand usually not. They may have clues such as flakingpattern,serrations,fluting or recurve more often than not it's a guess as to type though.
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I see. I’ve been trying to get a grasp of the different types pictured and described on OverstreetID and ProjectilePoint but there seem to be so many variations that finding an “exact match” is nearly impossible at this point due to my lack of knowledge. I’m reading and learning as much as I can!
                Thank you all!

Comment

Wherever you found those the clue to your mystery is in the ground keep searching, your bound to find more

Comment

You will not be able to type those, but based on the flaking style, I believe it is very old.
                    South Dakota

Comment

It has outre- passé flaking technology
                      South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                      X