Dunes - 6/28/2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunes - 6/28/2022

It’s been 2 months since I hunted my sand dunes permission. Some utilized obsidian flakes, a ridiculously tiny drill tip, a couple of broken bases, a rectangularish Mano (I’m told it’s a pallet), a big heavy hammer stone. But best of all, a small but complete San Patrice (fluted on both sides), and a Bell (missing one barb). Weirdly, the Mano & Hammer were touching each other. And the the points were within a foot of each other. and both almost completely buried. I flipped each one out after glimpsing just a bit of flint. Rains and wind earlier this month likely exposed all these artifacts as I have been to each of these sites earlier this year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9919.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	643290Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9917.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	643291Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9920.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	643292Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9923.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	643293Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9928.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	643294

Midland Co, TX - "My neck hurts from looking down!"

nice finds

Comment

Awesome. What are you calling that mini bell looking notched point?

Comment

• TexAg
        TexAg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks SGT. The one with the missing barb I believe is a Bell (apparently named for Bell County where the type site was discovered - Early Archaic 4800-5660 YBP), and the smaller complete one I believe is a resharpened San Patrice (Paleo - 9500 YBP).

Super finds
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

great day .
        Utah

Comment

The missing ear point is a Shumula. The other may be san patrice related . Probably that age.

Comment

• TexAg
            TexAg commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the help Steve, I think you are right about the Shumla. I had gone with Bell due to the slightly expanding base. But the size, location, and pink color (described by Turner and Hester as being caused by heat treated Chert) indicate Shumla rather than Bell. Sure wish it still had the other barb!

Good day!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Productive day, nice finds
            Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

good on you , some great finds
              Wyoming

Comment

Awesome finds!!!

Comment

Awesome....cool finds.......good day for sure tex
                  Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Nice finds Tex.
                    FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Are you racking the sand? I’m sure they aren’t just sitting on top.
                      good finds
                      NW Georgia,

Comment

• TexAg
                        TexAg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        They are sitting on top, or in the case of the 2 points, partially visible. I do “rake” with my hunt stick (has a small hoe on the end) if I find a broke. But normally just walk from blowout to blowout looking for stuff on the surface. I’ve tried raking, even using a leaf blower but there is so much area to these blowouts that I never found anything that way. Property is several hundred acres with 50+ blowouts containing artifacts, usually just burned rock or flakes, but sometimes I find a point. When I do I, feel blessed especially after the mileage I hike in a given day and the effort involved. And to think I find things that go back to Paleolithic times. I am still amazed by that!
                        Last edited by TexAg; 06-30-2022, 03:41 PM.

I bet you get plenty of sand in your shoes. Idk if I would be excited about going to the beach after hunting the dunes 😀
                      NW Georgia,

Comment

• TexAg
                        TexAg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I sure would SH if it wasn’t for high high top boots and snake gaiters. Walking the beach would have a whole new purpose now that I’m into this hobby!

Nice finds !!
                      In chimalli in macahuitl

Comment

Working...
                      X