Caddo and Friendship Blades near Spiro Mounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caddo and Friendship Blades near Spiro Mounds

The 7 & 1/4” red/tan Caddo bipointed blade is made from Fossilferous chert and was found near Spiro Mounds in Kay county Oklahoma.
    The 5 & 1/2” black serrated Caddo friendship bipointed blade is made from high grade Pitkin chert and was found a short distance east from the Spiro Mounds in Scott county Arkansas. Both of these rare Mississippian period blades are very thin for the length.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E3D15D43-E29D-4E48-AE29-D09344CB33C0.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	662591Click image for larger version

Name:	65DDF18F-954B-4F33-B53E-5D74A06E33B5.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	662592
    SE ARKANSAS

Wow, both show some serious knapping talent.
    South Carolina

Comment

Very nice
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice blades
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Two very nice blades!
          North Central Kentucky

Comment

Wow, not sure what I would do if I ever found something like either of those. I would either hang it up thinking I found my find of a lifetime or I'd be hunting every day of the year lol.

Those are some serious blades. Thanks so much for sharing.

Comment

Two beauties!
              South Carolina

Comment

Beauties! I used to have a couple that Perino excavated in Oklahoma.

The name always struck me as a bit funny. Like the other big Mississippian blades and similar pieces down into Mexico, I doubt there were a lot of feelings of friendship when pieces like that were pulled out during an import religious or ceremonial gathering.

The first chunk of evidence is that the people buried with the important burials at Spiro and Cahokia didn't accidentally die at the same time. Forensics wasn't what it is now, but excavators noted cut marks on bones.

And there are 5 or 6 big Cahokia & Spiro pipes showing a well dressed figures decapitating a captive or with the head of a captive. (The Spiro Conquering Warrior pipe is the famous one in the Smithsonian, but there are others.)
                Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Artifascination
                  Artifascination commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lots of engraved shell was also found there with not so friendly depictions. The Spiro was a very busy place back then. So many artifacts found from cultures all over in one small area. So much lost history there.

• DiversionHound
                  DiversionHound commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I often wonder what the blades I've found have seen in their lifetime. One thing is for sure is they all have had lots of blood on them.

Awesome pair of big blades…..👍
                Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Love the Pitkin

Comment

Nice!
                    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
                    X