Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arrowheads and Dart Points made from something other than stone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrowheads and Dart Points made from something other than stone.

I may have posted this years ago, but here it is again.
    We don't have any available tool stone around my section of the Texas coast. If the prehistoric peoples didn't bring it in, or trade for it, they had no material for tools and points.
    About 25 years ago on a HAS dig at 41GV53 , Lee Patterson told me that the prehistoric people would fashion bone, shell, and gar scales for points as needed. Especially for fishing. They did have a trade network because of the materials we found here and there, but by and large, stone was replaced by bone and shell for everyday use.
    In all these years I've only found a single carved shell point, but I've found many sharpened bone bits and gar scales.
    These are some of them that I just posted in a previous post as well as some others.
    FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

This post makes me happy! Must digest on iPad after gets charged; iPhone screen just too small to be navigated ….
    Thank you! I have lovely, highly polished shell columella hairpins (I think) Augmonic found in a shelter in the Ozarks and sent to me after I oooohed-n-aaaaahed when he posted. ….those pretty pieces pretty far piece from ocean! I know they were absolutely treasured by whomever wore them!
    Last edited by Cecilia; 11-17-2022, 08:10 PM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Wood, Bone, Shell, hide, and plant fiber artifacts are of special interest. It's a shame that most of them are gone forever.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks for posting some nice Artifacts LS. K
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Bone "Point". Ichetucknee River, FL
          Attached Files
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
          X