Some Native American stuff on newly cleared land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Native American stuff on newly cleared land

Couple of finds tonight. Any idea on material type for the scraper? And any idea if the last 2 things are anything? I feel like I’ve seen them in books before.
    Attached Files

That "scraper" looks like Rhyolite. Nice finds. 😊
    South Carolina

Comment

• michael.mivian@gmail.com
      michael.mivian@gmail.com commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok thanks! That makes sense, it feels like a regular rough hard stone. Any idea why someone would choose that material over quartz which is basically laying around everywhere? Also, is the awl chert or is that flint? Not sure how to tell the difference yet
      Last edited by michael.mivian@gmail.com; 11-19-2022, 09:49 PM.

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Narrow Way Knapper commented
      Editing a comment
      Rhyolite is a very tough material and holds up to abuse. Quartz is more likely to fracture. Of course there are varying grades of both. In my neck of the woods, the Rhyolite was quarried in the Morrow mountain area and brought down to the piedmont. Your awl could be Georgia costal plains chert.

Ok that makes sense, thank you!!

Comment

You got yourself some artifacts that's for sure. Which one are you calling an awl? Show us some pics of that one from both sides.

Comment

Welcome to our site Michael enjoy your stay with us. Yes show what you're calling an Awl. The Rhyolite piece looks like the base of a larger knife. Kim from Pa.
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
        X