Onodaga Chert Blade: Flaki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onodaga Chert Blade: Flaki

This 5" x 2.5" piece was found near the Seneca River, in Onondaga County, NY, and given to me a few years ago by the Old Time collector who wanted to stimulate my interest in NA artifact collecting. (...it worked..) At first I thought it was 'just a pre-form', but now that I notice the amount of flaking that went into it and the resulting sharp edges, I am thinking it is a finished tool. Would you agree?

And, does the flaking pattern on this piece reveal anything about its age? Thanks!
    Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

Though they may not be in your area, shows a strong resemblance to a Adena blade. Leaving some cortex on is a common trait….👍
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

In the first picture it looks like it has one fresh flake that has no patina near the tip. Maybe it's just a strip of different color. Nice knife. 😊
      South Carolina

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe that is a color difference from the purity in the Chert. K

• Narrow Way Knapper
        Narrow Way Knapper commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok Kim, that's what I was wondering. 🙂

It looks like a large knife blade form that has been well utilized.
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Its not onandaga chert in my honest opinion. With thengreen hues on the ends it looks more like normanskill chert.
        Here is a thread with some nice looking Onandaga artifacts. https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...onondaga-chert
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by Narrow Way Knapper View Post
          In the first picture it looks like it has one fresh flake that has no patina near the tip. Maybe it's just a strip of different color. Nice knife. 😊
          Yep. I see it. Can't explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
            Its not onandaga chert in my honest opinion. With thengreen hues on the ends it looks more like normanskill chert.
            Here is a thread with some nice looking Onandaga artifacts. https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...onondaga-chert
            Most interesting. Could be Normanskill! Nice!

Comment

Hay Cramer that's a nice knife. The Chert is very much like what outcrops here in central Pa. Probably like Hoss said but we call it Penns Creek Chert. Almost Identical. K
              Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

That's a dandy...
                Utah

Comment

Working...
                X