• Narrow Way Knapper
    commented on 's reply
    Ok Kim, that's what I was wondering. πŸ™‚

• Mattern
    commented on 's reply
    I believe that is a color difference from the purity in the Chert. K

• Mattern
    replied
    Hay Cramer that's a nice knife. The Chert is very much like what outcrops here in central Pa. Probably like Hoss said but we call it Penns Creek Chert. Almost Identical. K

Leave a comment:

• Cmcramer
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoss View Post
    Its not onandaga chert in my honest opinion. With thengreen hues on the ends it looks more like normanskill chert.
    Here is a thread with some nice looking Onandaga artifacts. https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...onondaga-chert
    Most interesting. Could be Normanskill! Nice!

Leave a comment:

• Cmcramer
    replied
    Originally posted by Narrow Way Knapper View Post
    In the first picture it looks like it has one fresh flake that has no patina near the tip. Maybe it's just a strip of different color. Nice knife. 😊
    Yep. I see it. Can't explain it.

Leave a comment:

• Hoss
    replied
    Its not onandaga chert in my honest opinion. With thengreen hues on the ends it looks more like normanskill chert.
    Here is a thread with some nice looking Onandaga artifacts. https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...onondaga-chert

Leave a comment:

• Artifascination
    replied
    It looks like a large knife blade form that has been well utilized.

Leave a comment:

• Narrow Way Knapper
    replied
    In the first picture it looks like it has one fresh flake that has no patina near the tip. Maybe it's just a strip of different color. Nice knife. 😊

Leave a comment:

• UpNorth
    replied
    Though they may not be in your area, shows a strong resemblance to a Adena blade. Leaving some cortex on is a common trait….πŸ‘

Leave a comment:

• Cmcramer
    started a topic Onodaga Chert Blade: Flaki

Onodaga Chert Blade: Flaki

This 5" x 2.5" piece was found near the Seneca River, in Onondaga County, NY, and given to me a few years ago by the Old Time collector who wanted to stimulate my interest in NA artifact collecting. (...it worked..) At first I thought it was 'just a pre-form', but now that I notice the amount of flaking that went into it and the resulting sharp edges, I am thinking it is a finished tool. Would you agree?

And, does the flaking pattern on this piece reveal anything about its age? Thanks!
Working...
X