That's a miss!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's a miss!

How long should I spend looking for the tip?

That is an impact fracture, it may have been in an animal or anywhere, chances of finding it is slim
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha!

Willjo may be right. Perseverance is the word jm. Though I wouldn't spend much time looking. It is a very nice broke. Where did you find it, maybe someone can ID it for you. Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• jmccarthy
      jmccarthy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kim. Location was a creekbed in Round Rock, TX.

Thanks for the great example of an impact fracture looks like! I had some ideas but this really helps. I gained another piece of knowledge today.

Comment

Heck, keep looking. No telling what else you’ll find. I thought my spots were hunted out a couple of times but persistent walking turned up more finds. Keep at it.
      👍👍
      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

🧐 Hmmmm…..
        My only qualification supporting any response is appreciation for your 😉! I did not see it initially, but started smiling, thinking bout some cleaver lil witty retort. Then the guys started responding with very serious consideration …. maybe this mascot/cheerleader should contain herself…. Ha!

Lemme refresh collective recollection with story about my first, very beloved, very reserved, very refined Mentor. He has collected mountains of rocks, artifacts, weird unusual finds on his property——- multiple multiple mountains. Once upon a time, he (or son) found broken point. Ho-hum, huh? ….. Wait, Mentor says to self (because he is very quiet, a man of few words) lemme think, maybe, maybe, maybe……
        rest o that point righty here, left side bottom of this pile…🧗‍♂️⛰🗻

Are you having fun looking for tip? If so, who cares if odds slim…..
        Point is beautiful, has a surreal luster like that stuff UpNorth finds; you sure you found in Texas?!
        Last edited by Cecilia; 12-05-2022, 07:50 AM.
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          🙏🙏🙏

• jmccarthy
          jmccarthy commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha, yeah, I looked around a bit. I think Ron Kelly is right though, the tip probably shattered. I'm in the Texas Hill Country. We do have some variety around here and some of the black/blue chert resembles obsidian. They mostly used the gray/brown chert though, maybe the glassy stuff is too brittle.

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like Johnny CC

With an impact frature like that, What broke off is probably more than one piece.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

And it’s on its way to being a drill ..
          One thing I learned on this site was if the area looked like a fresh break , it would be a different color with no patina from years in the dirt .You could start looking .. Plow break to what ever . Old it’s the same color as the outside like your piece , which brings you back to what everyone just said .

Comment

Nice save! Ive never found the other half of any broken artifact, yet with the ton or so of broken ones ive amassed, it’s possible i have and just dont know it. 🤔

Comment

• jmccarthy
              jmccarthy commented
              Editing a comment
              I once found both halves of a neolithic point - after my son dropped it on our tile floor

• PaleoSnow
              PaleoSnow commented
              Editing a comment
              Ugh, you had to say that! Ok i guess i have also found two pieces of a broken one. Somehow in the 20 foot from truck to door i broke the ear off the very best perfect Dunn point i have ever found. I tossed all my finds in a sack gathering my things from truck and somehow it jostled against another or i may have been to rough, and broke the tony ear off. I was getting finds out and saw the ear was gone and it made me sick! I KNOW BETTER! But i was fortunate enough to find it still in the sack, now glued on. So i have found one kind of like your story.

To make PaleoSnow feel better (kidding, found it in a midden)

Click image for larger version

Name:	stress.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	666084

Comment

• awassamog
              awassamog commented
              Editing a comment
              Jm very nice, that may have end3d life as a Burin
          Working...
          X