X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• narragansett bay argillite spear point tips

found these on the same stretch of beach , 2 months apart

call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Those weathered points sure are hard to identify.  I've never seen any of em around here.

Comment

thanks coach, they both have clean breaks that are almost identical, and their fairly thin , more so than any of my knife blades,which tells me they belonged to spears or lances, and by their size i'd guess when full they were quite large.
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

I found a similar untyped argillite spear point tip as well as a guilford-round base maybe at the same beach in Rhode Island.
        Last edited by SDhunter; 01-17-2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• SDhunter
          SDhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          This thread was from 2013, and we haven’t heard from Jay in a while, so you may not get an answer from him.

• Jhutchins
          Jhutchins commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I appreciate it!

• SDhunter
          SDhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Wait, where was that beach again? I don’t see it anymore. 🙂

I also found a stouter argillite tip with an unlikely point of attachment a week later at the same beach

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          What your thinking is "the point of attachment"(stem?), is not. It's a broken artifact, but that is not the stem on the left, should that be your thought......

• Jhutchins
          Jhutchins commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

Nice finds though
        South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Jhutchins View Post
          I found a similar untyped argillite spear point tip as well as a guilford-round base maybe at the same beach in NK, Rhode Island. Were yours found in North Kingstown as well?
          I would recommend not naming the town in which you find things. I would not give a single hint on locations. I know the beaches are free for anyone to walk in RI, so long as one is below the high tide line, though of course you can look higher on the beach in most cases, but I know my wife and I feel like we have been run off our old spots due to the huge influx of new collectors. We do not hunt the beach you are referencing, but this is a competitive "sport", and it's always wise to leave out clues. "Found in a field" or "found on a beach" is sufficient. Better yet, just "found", lolol....

And if Jay were posting these days, I do not believe he would ever spell right out the beach location on a public venue like our forum.....
          Last edited by CMD; 01-16-2020, 09:34 AM.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Start giving up locations and next thing you find is foot prints. A lot of them!
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Jhutchins
              Jhutchins commented
              Editing a comment
              You're right! My bad I shouldn't have done that. Thank you

I know these places you speak of..but as a member of the guild I am sworn to secrecy..

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha! Too late over here. Things have gotten so bad, the Mrs. and I have for the most part retired from the sport. But, they're not still making points, so it's to be expected I guess. We did good for the time we put in, just never realized it would come to an end abruptly.

When I get the chance to go out looking I always run into someone I haven't seen before also looking..i conversate with them and usually make friends...but I also move on to other places I try to keep under wraps..

Comment

I'm sorry I shouldn't have alluded to where I found it. My bad

Comment

Originally posted by Jhutchins View Post
                I'm sorry I shouldn't have alluded to where I found it. My bad
                There is no need for an apology, not your bad at all. My bad for not simply pointing it out in a PM. Worry bout nothing.....
                Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by TSUMS View Post
                  When I get the chance to go out looking I always run into someone I haven't seen before also looking..i conversate with them and usually make friends...but I also move on to other places I try to keep under wraps..
                  At a great many of our sites, both inland and seashore, conditions changed, both man made and natural changes, in a way that created conditions that made it far less likely, even impossible in some cases, to ever find points again. For instance, when a rocky/gravelly beach turns muddy, with no rocks showing, and simply remains that way, then the site is simply gone. I have found these changes at my 3 most hunted beaches, so we accept that we had a good run, heck we found thousands of points in the past 30 years, so really cannot complain. And besides, someone invented the saying "all good things come to an end" for a reason, lolol......

Rhode Island

Comment

I think I have an adze made of that stuff.Its the only one I have like it..mjm

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200121_081234.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	418364 I believe these to be Argillite???

Comment

Working...
                      X