Oregon Arrowhead ... ODD ... Need ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon Arrowhead ... ODD ... Need ID

Hi ...  this arrowhead came out of the central Willamette Valley farm land in Oregon .... I have never seen a arrowhead made out of what looks like clear quartz ..... it is almost clear enough to see through .... any idea what kind of rock ... and was it common to use this kind of rock in arrowhead making ? I have seen several collections from Eastern Oregon ... and they are all obsidion  .... Any comments or info ... would be great ...
    Thanks... Doug

I can tell what its not ,,quarts,,, most likey agait,,

Comment

It does look like agate

Comment

From what I can gather on the pic and according to Official Overstreet Identification Guide, it looks to be what is called an "Atlatl Valley Triangular" which is early to late archaic 7000 to 3500 B.P. and should have some beveling on one edge of each side, and sometimes they can be uni-face(having one worked face)with the one edge beveled. The base would also be "thinned" to beveled. This would be a knife blade form.
        Also it could be a "Plateau Pentagonal" which is not as old and from the "Classic Phase"-600 to 400 years before.Present. Hope this helps and points you in the right direction. Happy Hunting.

Comment

Working...
        X